4x4 road worthy help.

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
Camfish
Seadog
Seadog

4x4 road worthy help.

Post by Camfish »

Hey guys, would anybody know a good mechanic that can help me get my 4x4 ready to go over the pits, I know I need rubber felxi fenders to cover my larger wheel's and a stone/mud gaurs for the front tires. I'm worried about the lift job on it, not sure if it will pass the pits without an engineers certificate. I'm wondering if its worth getting a set of standard wheels for the pits, then swap them after the road worthy. I've also got extended break lines without an engineers certi. I have a 99 model zook, 4" lift and 32" muddies

sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: 4x4 road worthy help.

Post by sheps »

Do you have stock gearing? If so then just put stock tyres on for rego.

My current zook has 4" lift and everything between the diffs and the chassis is custom made and have no issues with rego.

ELQ28
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ELQ28 »

Camfish,
For rego with your 4" lift you will need Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) approval. You can download the application from the MVR website Bulletin V32. Depending on your lift kit, I can't see you'll need engineer approval but the MVR Inspector will be able to answer any questions. You need TAC approval for any lift over 50mm. I don't think they approve anything over 150mm unless there is a legitimate reason and engineering approval, but I cant see any issue with getting yours approved if you fill in the application. I have attached the bulletin and application for you.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

The thing about chucking smaller tyres on to get roadworthy then going back to bigger ones means your car is no longer roadworthy, which also meas your insurance will basically be null and void in the case of an accident. And people like that are F wits
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

is this a xmas G up from camfish or is it legit?

Any compliance certificate is for that time you have it inspected. Once you make alterations, you need another one. Simple really.

As elq28 said, your insurance company will wipe you when they find out your vehicle isnt road worthy.
I had a mate who did just as you mention and had a prang into a mercedes. The insurance co wiped him and he is still paying it off.
Not to mention is someone gets hurt. Then you could be looking at time in the cells with Big Bubba giving you a good night 'kiss' everynight

dont risk it
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

AJay wrote:The thing about chucking smaller tyres on to get roadworthy then going back to bigger ones means your car is no longer roadworthy, which also meas your insurance will basically be null and void in the case of an accident. And people like that are F wits

Insurance company's would need to prove that the mod was the reason for the accident to void the insurance.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Trust me, if they can decline a claim, they will. I have a mate who is an insurance investigator and thats one of the first things they check on a major claim.

They dont have to prove that the modification caused the incident, just that it could have been a contributing factor. Ive seen them decline a claim because a bullbar/winch combo wasnt set out in the schedule of mods.
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

They can deny as much as they want however if it goes legal they will have to prove that it contributed.
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

I'm with sheps. Most insurers will deny claim as many go away but the threat of legal action loosens their purse strings.
tight lines
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

Page 37 Clause H
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

Soooo....hypothetically..... Camfish is driving down by the Durack Lakes & he spots Bellfish reeling in a metrey. Camfish veers hard right, hits the gutter which launches an Old Man Emu through his bonnet. In the process, the extended brake line is severed & he careers down the embankment & into the lake. As a result, Bellfish's metrey gets lodged into Camfish's aftermarket snorkel as the entire Suzuki is submerged.
What can he claim??
Last edited by smed on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

smed wrote:Soooo....hypothetically..... Camfish is driving down by the Durack Lakes & he spots Bellfish reeling in a metrey. Camfish veers hard right, hits the gutter which launches an Old Man Emu through his bonnet. In the process, the extended brake line is severed & he careers down the embankment & into the lake. As a result, Bellfish's metrey gets lodged into Camfishes aftermarket snorkel as the entire Suzuki is submerged.
What can he claim??
:rofl: very good . Very good question , maybe insurance company could decide
ELQ28
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ELQ28 »

I don't think it's a matter for the Insurance Company. That would be a civil matter between Camfish and Bellfish. If Bellfish didn't hook the metery in a residential area then Camfish wouldn't have been distracted causing him to hit the kerb. Then you could argue with the council engineer that the kerb didn't perform as per design and performance standards published by Austroads. I think there would be 30% fault split each way between the parties. Camfish and Bellfish would be entitled to a fillet each from the Barra as technically Bellfish hooked it and Camfish caught it. Although it would already be scaled.
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

Not bad...however it appears nobody is reading the TIO documentation...so another hypothetical. Just prior to this unfotunate incident, Camfish had been out prospecting & collected 3.7 ounces of nuggets that he stored in a red kangaroo's scrotum that hung from his rear-vision mirror (chicks love it).
Unfortunately this was dislodged as result of Bellfish's metrey flapping around & lost to the depths of the Durack lakes.
Is Camfish's red roo's scrotum of gold covered under TIO's comprehensive insurance policy?

Hint: P.36 Clause 2B
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

Anyone that has a modified car insured with TIO is a bit silly.