Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Weekly tropical note - monsoon to return

Post by Matt Flynn »

BOM Weekly Tropical Note March 14, 2017

Monsoon trough to return to northern Australia
International weather models surveyed by the Bureau of Meteorology are forecasting a monsoon trough to redevelop to the north of Australia in the coming week. Models are predicting a wind surge from the northern hemisphere will cross the equator and feed into a weak trough which currently extends from near the north coast of the Northern Territory across to northern Queensland and into the Coral Sea (see chart here).
This would increase rainfall over parts of the southern Maritime Continent and far northern Australia. While some models predict the monsoon trough will move over land, others suggest it will develop over water, raising the risk of tropical cyclone development in the Australian region from this weekend. Historically, the month of March sees the highest frequency of tropical cyclones in the Australian region.

More here ... http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/tropical-note/

Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Weekly tropical note - monsoon to return

Post by Simmo83 »

Fingers crossed for one last top up I guess but it's not looking promising for heavy and widespread rain. If I'm wrong then everyone is a winner as long as I can get out this Sunday for the Pirtek Fishing Comp.
Bruce Simpson
197 Pioneer Sportfish - 175hp Honda.
Ex Sandgroper from Karratha
Member of KBGFC and DGFC.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Weekly tropical note - monsoon to return

Post by scottmac »

Just in time for my 10 days off.....