Tortilla flats/blackmore river/elizabeth valley

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Tortilla flats/blackmore river/elizabeth valley

Post by Turtle »

Well, decided this arvo to go for a solo drive out to tortilla flats to check what the water levels were doing. Got to Whitehead creek and it was fairly flooded, cruiser got through no dramas.
DSC00330.JPG
After that there was about 2km of that floodplain that was underwater, only shallow and gave the 4by a good wash underneath! :twisted:
DSC00333.JPG
Got to the Adelaide river crossing and it was flowing real hard, no chance of a fish there at the moment, another 500m after the crossing was flooded to, almost up to the Ringwood station gates (I think thats the name).
DSC00331.JPG
Well I then stopped at Whitehead on the way back and chilled in the middle and had a flick :fishing: on top of the cruiser for 30 mins or so for ZIP.
DSC00339.JPG
Driving back home I made a last minute decision to head down cox peninsula road and have a look at blackmore river, was dark when I got there, had a flick with a green bomber in all the back eddies for no hits. So I chucked on a little Bill's Bugs surface lure in black and started flicking that around when all of a sudden BOOF! The little barra boofed my lure about 1 meter into the air. Another cast past the same spot and he hit it again with alot more enthusiasm, as he had swalled the whole bl..dy lure! Was only just legal and no dramas getting him to the bank, but pulling the trebles out was another mission altogether. Anyway took a few photos and let the little fella back to grow nice and metery so we can meet again!
Gotta love surface fishing! :catch:
DSC00344.JPG
Headed to Elizabeth river culvert after that and had a flick, only wildlife there was a little 1.5m freshie. Maybe be alright with a bit more water there?
Will be keeping an eye out for water levels out tortilla flats way, soon as she drops Im gonna be smashing the barra there for sure!! 8)

Cheers, Turtle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
troamaru
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Tortilla flats/blackmore river/elizabeth valley

Post by troamaru »

Good post mate! heaps of water around everywhere now.. hopefully get a bit more and have a decent run off this year!
ntpie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ntpie »

fished liz river culvert four days in a row...just a 45cm silver fish...3 kids were there who lived locally they reckon they fished it everyday for a 60cm fish. they were local boys and reckon if the water is too high its no good
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

Oh righto, were you fishing at night or day? I got told a few hours after high tide down there is worth a look, was about that time when I was fishing there, no hits and couldnt hear any action anywhere. Oh well thats culvert fishing for ya. Might have to do a trip out Anrhem highway now.. =]
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
Mr RiverBabe
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mr RiverBabe »

Well done at Blackmore mate. So keen for a night run. Well done on throwing it back to congrats. You dont see that very often.

I sent you a PM regarding a night run. I only have a kia Rio at the moment but will get out there no issues so as soon as its back from the smash shop i am in.
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

A Culvert Rat is born

: )
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

Mud wrote:A Culvert Rat is born

: )
Haha, me? or the barra? :P
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

You ha ha !!!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by JewieQueen »

Nice work Turtle :)

Blackmore is definatly one for a night fish. Do just as you done Turtle and cast the eddies and still water with surface lures, Last year we were creaming at least 10 fish a night there between 3 of us when the water starting dropping :) My mate Brenno (i think it was just luck) pulled a 92cm from there last year... his first barra..... anyway Unweighted Hollow bellys rigged weed less are also candy to the fish :)

Tightlines Fella's might see you culvert crazies out this weekend if i cant put the boat in the water.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

thanks for the advice JQ! :D
Do you know any spots to go there? I was just underneath the bridge but wondering if there is any other little areas that would be worth a look. Im planning on heading there for a night fish this wednesday with Mr Riverbabe.
Any info would be very much appreciated!! :drinking1: :angel:

Cheers, Turtle
ntpie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ntpie »

turtle turn down the road to tumbling waters you will find a great rockbar there...looks very fishy
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

Yer checked that out last night, using surface lures and didnt get any hits. Saw a little croc hanging around there though. :P