Wunyu Beach, West Arnhem Land

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Wunyu Beach, West Arnhem Land

Post by Matt Flynn »

Anyone know anything about Wunyu Beach, West Arnhem Land? eg where is it, access, what's it like?

Travis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Travis »

G'day Matt,

I have regularly fished Sandy Creek which is just down the coast from Wunyu on the Eastern side of Coburg peninsular. The area offers some excellent fishing with Simms Island, Nth & Sth Goulburn Islands easily accessable as well as White rocks (expanse of shallow coral reefs) and White Point for coral trout, reef fish and pelagics and numerous bays and creeks loaded with Jacks, goldies, crabs and the odd barra. I can't say exactly what else may be on offer at Wunyu Beach as Sandy creek is about 40km down the coast from it and I've never had any reason to venture that far and looking on the map don't see any reason to as it just means travelling further by having to back track to the above mentioned spots. For a rough idea on the location get a map and draw a line due West from Sth Goulburn and the stretch of beach you see is where Wunyu is. Sandy Creek (Sandy 1) is the larger of the two creeks along the coast to the South-East with the smaller one on the west being Sandy 2. Access is via the Gurig road (off the Maningrida).

Do you reckon this info is worth the 1M Barra sticker that you were going to send me a while ago :wink: I can PM my postal again if you don't have it.

Cheers,
Travis
Born to Fish!!!
Forced to Work.....
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

Gday Matt,
you can get permits through the NLC for around $80 per vehicle to access sandy 1 and wunyu beach but the sandy 2 which is around 10 km further north of sandy 1 on the same track is off limits to everyone except if you are in the company of TO's for the area :|most people I know(me included) choose to stay at sandy creek good crabbing and some good fishing but I could think of better spots I would rather go :wink:

BEAR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Wunyu

Post by Matt Flynn »

Looks great, I will have to do a trip out there this dry season. King River looks interesting, a long haul from the camp, but big potential - anyone fished it?
jordan doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jordan doevy »

looks good - nice jack too
schools what i do in between fishing ;)
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

sandy

Post by dodgyone »

Next forum trip maybe? :cheers:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Sounds good to me - when are we going - who am i kidding - b%^&(*)(Y work!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Shane
:cheers:
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
Travis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Travis »

Hey Matt,

Was going to fish King River last trip out there but ended up only fishing the two smaller creeks in that bay before we had to go as it was getting very rough and made for an uncomforable trip back all the way back to Sandy. The smaller creeks were absolutely loaded with Jacks and Goldies with a rock bar in one of them resulting in a double hook up every 30-40m. We only got a few barra in both creeks and that is why I wanted to go to King as a bloke living at Goulburn Island told me that you get a lot more barra in it than any of the other creeks in the area. Hopefully won't be as rough next trip there and I will be fishing it for sure. Permits cost $88 per vehicle through NLC and they only let a maximum of 7 vehicles in there at the one time. Contact the Jabiru office to book and then pay/pick up the permit at the Casuarina office.

Cheers,
Travis
Born to Fish!!!
Forced to Work.....
Walkabout
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Walkabout »

I have fished the king river. Its 1.5hours from sandy in goog weather. I went around July 2003. Not the best time of year for Barra. The 3 guys in our group had fished it years before. They gave it a big rap. I found the barra really hard to find. We got zero (10 guys and 3 boats). A few snapper and jacks on little lucifers. Nothing to rave about. We did get a 12kilo trevally in a small creek! My best effort was a snapper hooked casting a snag followed by a huge cod 80kg plus eating the jack and the killalure.

The cod still has my lure!!

All the creeks from sandy to Maningrida are being hit hard. My mate was out working at the Goulbourn Is after the cyclones had passed. He went fishing to the mainland to find all the creeks mentioned in this post with nets across the front.

Remember it was the river just passed the King that was raped of all its barra two years back.

So don't go with the impression that the fishing is pristine and untouched!
djambalawa
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Sandy Creek last week

Post by djambalawa »

Just spent 5 days in a big group camp at Sandy Creek - was really nice. Fishing wasn't great but we got enough for a feed each day - and a bigger boat got some nice Jewies etc north of Simms Island. Was on the really big tides though. Mornings were calm but afternoons and nights were windy - which was good for camping.

Just one question if anyone knows - where exactly is Wunyu Beach? Is Sandy Creek part of Wunyu or is Wunyu more to the West? Anyone have a map or a link to a map? Googling doesn't seem to turn up any maps that shows Wunyu Beach...
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

here is a map of the location of Wunyu beach
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gibbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbo »

Have done Sandy creek for the last few years and
always had a great time and done well fishing ,is a great place
Will be there this time next month for 6 days....can,t wait
cheers :drinking1: :drinking2: :drinking3:
FISHING IS LIFE
----------------------