Finally got one

A 'kill' sticker for each metre-long barra posted ... PM your postal details to Matt Flynn.
predetec
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Finally got one

Post by predetec »

Gday all,

Well after many years I finally managed to crack the magical meter mark with a 102cm model landbased on the Fitzroy River in WA. Fish was one of two meteries caught that night with a 99cm caught as well. Excuse the photos - they were taken using a mobile which wasnt quite up to the task given the humidity ...

We headed up after work on what was to be my last mission for a while as the missus is due to have twins any day now. Arrived to see the river was still flowing but everything looked pretty good. Collected some bait and set up on a spot weve had previous success and within a few minutes I was on. Barely had time to strike before a good 80+ took to the air but it soon had me bricked around a rockbar. Ended up dropping that one and after hooking a few more snags we moved up the bank about 100m to reset.

Baits back in and about 15 minutes later my mates on - wasnt exactly the best fight so we were calling it for a sawfish. It headed pretty much straight in and as it got close we realised it was a good sized barra Got it up on the bank and on the brag mat and it went 101cm. It was his first metery and he was stoked. He'd hooked it in the tongue so we figured thats why it didnt put up much of a fight.
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0077.jpg
After a few high fives we were back into it. It was at about this stage that he started letting me know that I was the only one of our crew that hadnt landed a metery and generally questioning my fishing ability! He ended up getting a 95 and a 99 in pretty quick succession (which didnt help the ribbing I was getting) when I finally got on the board with an 89.
IMG_0081.jpg
Few more fish between 60 and 90 were caught and a few more :drinking5: but it seemed to be slowing down and we were considering calling it a night when a screaming run on my line put that idea to rest. Fish was putting up a good fight and took plenty of line - launched clean out of the water four times, even doing a couple of backflips. Mate was calling it for an 80 but I knew that it was my metery. After a tense 10 minutes managed to guide it in and get it on the bank. 102cms - stoked!!! After about a dozen 98cm fish i finally had my meter fish on the board. 8)
1.JPG
102.JPG
Ended up getting a couple more and then a half dozen in the morning but the big girls had moved out. Packed up and home by lunchtime. Stoked that I managed to get that metery on my last trip for a while and that me and my mate both landed our first meteries on the same night!

Cheers Wattsy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Finatic2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Finally got one

Post by Finatic2 »

Great story, congrats on joining the metrey club....
Fish stories told here....some true !!!

When in doubt...exaggerate !!
Marky
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Marky »

Well done mate, bout time you two pulled ya socks up and got one. Ripper session.

I'm back next Friday, catch up if your still in town then. Hope all goes well with the multiple addition to the family soon. Any day now...

Ps, always carry a decent camera... :)
predetec
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by predetec »

Cheers Mark - when you going to start posting some of your fish up here - need more kimberley content!
Dutchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dutchy »

nice fish mate.
I can count to potato!

Keep on keeping on.
Niglet
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Niglet »

well done nice fish
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

i can only dream. good fish
Big D
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Big D »

Nice Barra guys. Good skills on the meterys
Strong like Mother Russia and as tight as a Guinea fowl's hamstring!

"The Sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jaques-Yves Cousteau

"The first guy through the wall always gets bl..dy"

"remember that in the water you are no longer the top of the food chain"
palaran
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by palaran »

solid work
a few KNX crew over there for Easter also....
was quiet this end of town for most
LIFE EVOLVES ON THE EDGE
smarty
Seadog
Seadog

Post by smarty »

Great read and great fish too both of ya`s well in fellas...One day i`ll join the club hopefully...
predetec
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by predetec »

Thanks fella's.

Yeah Palaran it was busy up there from what I hear. Can be a frustrating place to fish but if you can time it with a dropping river it fishes really well.
Staggy7
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Staggy7 »

Good solid session had by all by the sounds of it
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

good on ya 8)