electric motor ideas???

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
steve37
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

electric motor ideas???

Post by steve37 »

Hey everyone,
Im fairly new to fishing/boating,
I have a 4.25 meter stacer proline angler with a 40hp on the back, im looking at buying an electric motor for it!!

One of the main features i want is the ability for the electric motor to hold us in place (just like a substitute for an anchor)
This is mainly becuase i have a girl friend who is keen to fish but not keen to drive or throw anchor....
any ideas or sugeestions would be great, at this stage i think there is one a minn kota i pilot...around 1700 is there anything cheaper?

Thanks !! :mrgreen:

Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: electric motor ideas???

Post by Lats »

Change the girlfriend :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just kidding mate. I think there are a few brands out there but I am not sure there are any other brands apart from Minn Kota I-Pilot that will keep you on the spot automatically with the press of a button. Before you make a decision on your motor, also price wiring, installation, battery, charger etc...they are not cheap either.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I fitted the ipilot and love it.
There have been reports lately of other brands failing - never used anything other than minn kota

I have only used the anchor a few times since i got it.
They will hold the spot in all but the biggest tides.

Make sure you have the ability to charge the leccy battery from the main engine. saves having to buy a battery charger for 240v
steve37
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steve37 »

This is where im starting to get confused....
My motor is tiller steer but when i bought the bought i got a battery and charger kit installed so my battery is charged from the motor, now i want to run the electric motor off this battery, would i have any problems with this??
do i need a mounting kit or the i pilot??
i can do electrical wiring myself...

thanks heaps again guys!!
Ibbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ibbsy »

I have an Ipilot mounted great motor. I have just been using a battery up the front not wire in Charge it when I get home will go all day no issues. i end up buying an Ark power box from BCF was about $169 this has a built in charger and an accessory plug which you can also charge through. At home I just plug the charge in looks like a moble phone charger. This unit also conditions the battery when charged. For longer trips I have made up a lead with 2 plugs for the 12V accessory port ( cigarette lighter) and this charges from the motor works well. have hard wire in the cable for the electric and use Anderson plug makes it easy. http://www.allpurposebatteries.com.au/p ... cts_id=150.

Hope it helps
steve37
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steve37 »

yeah makes sense, how long will you get off one battery? im sure that i will get enough time off my battery connected to the motor.. i mean all i have to do is start up the motor to charge so ill prob every be using the trolling motor for around 3 hours max!!!

Any other opinions on units or is the i pilot " the sh*t"?

Also can anyone clarify do i need to buy any accesories to mount and use this or is it all included?

thanks so much for your time and patience!
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Definately get another battery. Deep cycles are good. I run a 100AH deepcycle, and it lasted all day Saturday in some pretty hectic water, but was close to being flat. I personally would not be running it from my start battery.

Also if your going to outlay the cash, I wouldnt bother getting anything other than the ipilot.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

There is a quick release mounting plate but to my way of thinking, that just makes it easier to pinch

I used to use one (before ipilots came out) i tassie and it would last a weekend easily.
Now that i use it to hold the spot (like an anchor) and do long tracks trolling, Ive run mine almost flat several times in a single day.

For that reason, i went with the 2nd battery that is charged from the engine.

for the price of the battery charger, you can get a smart Redarc isolator. this ensures your main battery is charged first and then the aux battery. It also makes sure that you always have a fully charged main battery

Easy as to wire up
Ibbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ibbsy »

Steve
You will require to buy quick release bracket this is extra if you want to pull it on and off for traveling. The Ipilot is the go. You will need some cabling and Anderson plugs or means of connection depending where your battery is. The cable on the motor is about 1 to 1.2m long. some battery connections I have a sea master battery so have been using lugs with a 6mm hole. Bias sell 10mm tinned cable which is good. Can go 8mm if you want. A lot of people fit a Circuit breaker 50 or 60 Amp this is up to you I have never used on and had no issues. Im guessing your motor is a pull start so the battery you have will be for the electric and sounder if so it should be fine.
steve37
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steve37 »

yeah its a pull start motor and its only running a sounder on it, so i think i will be fine to run an i pilot off it.. so worst case scenario i flaten the battery then pull start and its all good...
Nomad, i agree it could make it easier to pinch and for this reason ill probably bolt it straight onto the boat.

Now correct me if im wrong ( apologies i dont know the technicle names for everything)

Now the motor charges the battery, on the battrery ill connect a pos and neg and run them to the i pilot ( with a fuse on positive side) the i pilot will be bolted on the boat....

who recomends the quick release??? is it worth it??

thanks again everyone!!!!
im pretty much set on the i pilot i just want to make sure i get all the monor details right :)
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

You can lock the quick release mate if that is ya concern :mrgreen:
steve37
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steve37 »

ok cool, how is that done??
steve37
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steve37 »

also where would you reccomend getting an i pilot from, i know in and outboard marine have thm, any other ideas?? cheers
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I would talk to George at NT Unique at Yarrawonga with all your queries. He put my i-pilot in. Big discounts for FFF members too
ben wads
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ben wads »

i had are jarvis marine to start with i ended up with 4 of them all brand new they all failed, they gave me a refund and i brought a minn kota never looked back