Sadgroves Salmon Shenanigans

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Fishless
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sadgroves Salmon Shenanigans

Post by Fishless »

With the day off work and my boat not having seen any water besides the rain for the last 3 weeks I decided to head down to Sadgroves by myself today to fish across the late morning low. Headed left from the boat ramp to begin with for a bit of a look, but things were pretty quiet so I decided to relocate to the channel at the mouth. As I was by myself I decided not to bring the cast net, opting instead for the simplicity of dead bait.

I'd been anchored up for about half an hour or so before my bait runner went off, followed a second later by a nice blue salmon exploding from the water, spitting my hook straight back at me in the process. After quickly re-baiting, my line was back in the water, and before it even had time to settle on the bottom was snapped up by another bluey, which was soon in the boat measuring about 50 cm. A short while later another rod went off, producing a fat 60 cm bluey. Things went quite for a while across the bottom of the tide, with the in coming tide producing another 50 odd cm bluey. I decided to hang around until the water started flowing off the flats into the channel at the corner of the mangroves across from dinah beach ramp. After about a dozen or so flicks with my ever reliable gold bomber, I felt a nice whack, before a nice thready revealed itself. He decided not to fight all that hard until I had him next to the boat, where he made quite a few attempts at escape, but luckily two trebles had set quite well in his jaws and he wasn't going any where in a hurry. There were a few nervous moments there when I was trying to net him by myself, with rod in one hand and net in the other but after what must have been the 6th attempt, he slid into the net, then into the boat, then into the esky 8) . There were a few other bits and pieces along the way, with the Powertail having a strong showing as usual, and a very angry sea snake that liked my squid and mullet combination, this was one seriously cranky snake! Needless to say my leader was sacrificed to avoid having a run in with this guy.

I've only managed a handful of threadies over the last few years, with this 75 cm model being the largest, I was especially stoked with catching him on a hard body as I know how fussy they can be. He was a very healthy, fat fish, which I look very much forward to turning into dinner in the nights to come :D All in all it was a great morning with a nice a breeze, good tunes on the radio and fish in the esky :D .

The pics not the best as I had to use the camera on my phone, because of course I forgot my real camera :bonk: .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Sadgroves Salmon Shenanigans

Post by seano »

Good job-nice thready- top tucker!
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Top post mate. Awesome thready for the harbour too. Well done!
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

nice feed there mate but why take the rod my Minn Kota belted this one for me up Bleesers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fishless
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fishless »

max wrote:nice feed there mate but why take the rod my Minn Kota belted this one for me up Bleesers
Thats impressive, I've never heard of anyone hunting threadies with their electric :rofl:

He must have been one of the slowest threadies around. Definitely a very unique way of bringing home a feed.
Fishindunky
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Fishindunky »

Nice fish There.

Max, with regard to you hitting a threadie with the electric.
I had a similar experience in the mouth of the Daly in March of this year. I hit two 70 odd cm Threadies while on the plane, both of which we went back and scooped up with the landing net. That same day we found a very large school of threadies (when I say large I mean about 5 acres, thousands of them) they were cruising along the surface very slowly feeding on very small bait. We managed about a dozen to 95cm. At the change of the tide the bait they were chasing pushed up against the fresh that was coming downstream, the result was the 5 acres of threadies was compressed into about the area of a tennis court, they were so thick it was a fish a cast, then my mate said why don’t we just get em with the net, so we did, we managed to scoop up two very large threadies with the landing net. It was one of the funniest things I have ever done on a boat, my mate standing up the bow swinging metre plus threadies over his shoulder and onto the deck, from memory we also nailed some good chrome barra and a jewie that day, awesome day.
So much water, so little annual leave.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Have experianced the same thing fishindunky except I had six at once jump in my boat when I reversed into them. Felt like I was being attacked by gold rockets. Funny as all hell having metreys smack you in the back. Makes you wonder where they all go on other times.!
erudebill
Seadog
Seadog

Post by erudebill »

Well that is some funny reading boys.

Nice pics
Fishing is a passion only fishermen understand.

erudebill

Sheeby
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sheeby »

Haha that's classic guys. Lazy man's fishin :D

Sheeby.
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

amazing stuff that would be a sight to see.
nikoniko
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nikoniko »

Who needs fishing rods? Awesome :mrgreen: :mrgreen: