first decent crack of the season

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
PilbaraBrad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

first decent crack of the season

Post by PilbaraBrad »

What a battle this last couple of days was. The weather was very odd, we encountered squalls, hot still weather, rain, cloud and cold nights however we sailed on in search of some new ground.

Adam arrived late in the afternoon and we set off pretty much as soon as we could after picking up a carton of beer and a few extra litres of fuel. We were racing the tide to a place neither of us had ever been to before, infact the whole purpose of this trip was to do some exploring, find some new ground in the port Hedland area. Anyway we got to an area and nosed our way in, only to realise that we had gone into the wrong creek. The tide was falling fast and with less than a foot of water we managed to crawl out and into some slightly deeper water near the mouth. The tide had by now dropped too much and we were stuck for the night.

Well the spot didn’t look too bad so after gathering a few livies and cooking up a few snags we soaked a few. It didn’t take long for Adam to hook up, unfortunately we only had 25lb fluoro carbon leader at that time of the trip (don’t ask) and he was pinged. I hooked up almost straight after Adams bust off, a barra was tail walking in the moonlight only to have me bust off next to the boat (again we didn’t have any leader). Anyway we fished that spot and dropped about 4 barra. We did land some nice fingermark, jacks, threadies and other typical creek stuff.

The next morning we decided to bite the bullet and return to the ramp so that I could pick up my bag of leader, we pretty much lost half a days fishing because of that. Not to worry. Once again we were on our way, this time to a different system in search of some new ground. We entered a creek later in the afternoon and sounded out some fishy looking water, looks promising I said to Adam, let’s fish here. And we did after some procrastinating. Anyway we got some good sized livies and after some more snags in bread we settled into a session.

Adam managed the first landed barra after enticing a mid 70's fish out of the snags on popper and some dodgy 12lb braid. He was pretty stoked and I was too. After wasting the first day of our trip and dropping probably 6 barra all ready we had one in the boat.

Image first fish of the trip
Image the sleeping quarters
Image popped bazz
Image first of the trip.

Anyway not long after that Adams livie rig screamed off. What followed was a pretty intense fight. The barra went hard and actually got him into the snags a few times. He managed to get it out but there were some pretty adrenaline pumped moments before this new PB went into the net. 101cm of barra, Adams first metery and as you can imagine he was pretty stoked. The beers flowed after that.
Image 101cm Image
a happy camper

well we settled into a good little session, I dropped about another 2 fish before I landed one, Adam landed another two smallish fish but it was a good session anyway given the water temp was down around the 26 degree mark
89cm

Anyway the next day was very odd, things were shut down and the water temp was down to 24 degrees. We ended up doing some more exploring since we had the time. We ended up finding a nice hole in another creek out of the wind. There were a lot of fish showing on the sounder so that is where we ended up fishing for our last session. Things were pretty action packed there for a while. We caught a heap of gold snapper, jacks, good sized threadies, grunter and a couple of barra on SP's. We also dropped another couple of bazzas on live bait.

bazzas on the sounder
more threadies
Nice Jack
Hungry
Small bazz on an SP
more threadies
Another bazz on an SP

Anyway we rounded up a pretty good trip and in 25kt winds made our way home. On the way out we saw something pretty amazing. A kangaroo was having a swim way out on a sand bar. Not sure if he new what he was doing but he did eventually make his way back to shore before the incoming tide got a hold of him too much.
cooling off

UNCLDUG
Seadog
Seadog

Re: first decent crack of the season

Post by UNCLDUG »

Great report and awsome pics Pilbrabrad :applause: :applause: half ya luck mate , well done :bow: :bow: ps , the pic of skippy is a cracker 8)
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Great write up - sounds like a fantastic trip. :mrgreen:

Amazing photos, well done with those. :clap:

Love that jack too! :mrgreen:

cheers :cheers:
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
andrew.south
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by andrew.south »

Mate that is an awesome camera...great report and great photo's...:-)
Southy

Very rarely when the ship misses the harbour is it the harbours fault
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Great write up and awesome pics Brad.
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

HI there,

Some really cool pics in there, I really liked the one with the kangaroo.
And yes, some nice fish too...

Have a good day,
Pecheur
PilbaraBrad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by PilbaraBrad »

Yeah cheers fellas, was a good trip

that Kangaroo was a classic!
troamaru
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by troamaru »

all I can say is I'm jealous haha!! great fish mate looks like an awesome trip! :cheers:
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Nice report Brad :)
Regards Dick
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Good one mate
Would have been a bit of nasty weather there hey.
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Ripper report and pics... :clap: :applause: :applause: :applause:
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
nikoniko
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nikoniko »

congratulations mate on the awesome fishing and pics :mrgreen:
Ibbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ibbsy »

Ripper fish Brad
Webby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Webby »

Well done brad, great report and photos
meterclubwannabe
Seadog
Seadog

Post by meterclubwannabe »

Top report and pics! Must have had to blink a few times to make sure you really were seeing a roo out there! How Bizarre!
Cheers MCWB
------------------------
no longer a wannabe....indaclub 15 april 2009 and stoked!