great western port gummies

seado32
Gold Member
Gold Member

great western port gummies

Post by seado32 »

just one week back to the cold south and have had a ripper session on the gummies. Went out through the heads sat morning from hastings for a go at some kingys but couldnt find them so headed back in just off the main channel. saw plenty of salmon on the way back in so stocked up on bait while we had the chance, in my opinion fresh salmon fillets or even cubes are the best gummy bait you can use. Anyway had some fun with the salmon on light gear and i even thought i had hooked an absolute monster but turns out i had foul hooked one through the tail, still went around 5lb though. Anyway we anchered up at a spot that had given us the goods before and it was not long before the first rod went off. Good little fight turned out to be a swell shark, real freaky looking things and they stink too. No good to eat so he got a tap on the head and went back in the drink. next one was a port jackson shark, popular around the area but no good to us so we said catch ya later as it swam off. then one of the rods realy started to scream, set the hook and had to wind like hell as she turned around and headed back to the boat, they are famous for this and its always nervy while you cant feel the weight (tend to lose a few on the little bits of reefe you find around there. Finaly caught up and she was still there, 20 mins later the girl was in the boat. Weighed in at just under 14kg's and although we were hanging for a feed anything over the 10kg mark should go back as they are breeders and always female. We let the big girl go and dropped the lines again. few more swells and pj's and then jagged another nice gummy, this one was right on 10 kegs and we had a smal debate as to weather she should go back in but we decided to keep her (one fish fed all three of our familys) The action didnt die off either ended up with two more one being a huge girl 18kg's and did she put up a great fight, she was duely rewarded by swimming off, even let her keep the salmon cube she engulfed. Anyway was a great sesh and i bet a few of you northerners are wondering what the fuss is about over a few sharks as ther normaly a nusence to you guys, well gummy is one of the best table fish you can wrap your laughing gear around (in my opinion) Anyway cheers and if someone can tell me how to post pics i have some great ones and even a bit of vidio that is good for a laugh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by seado32 on Sun May 08, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: great western port gummies

Post by deepblack »

Nice Fish, but are you sure they aren't schoolies given the larger than average size, large second back(caudal) fin and absence of spots? They still eat awesome though.
Cheers,
John
Last edited by deepblack on Sun May 08, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Monster gummies mate! Well done- great chewing too.
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Given that mosr reef sharks eat well (in my humble opinion anyway thanks Mud) as long as theyre not too big, the gummys would be delicious... 8) :mrgreen:
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous