What 4WD Tyre?

Longrass
Gold Member
Gold Member

What 4WD Tyre?

Post by Longrass »

It's that's time of year where the roads are slippery in a fun kind of way but not so much the tracks. Before I come a cropper, what rubbers should I put on my 13 Hilux?

SR5 rims?

I've got Silent Armours on my other Hilux and love them, but honestly have do be about 500km of dirt with them and still unphased.

What do you mob suggest?

Do around 20k road and 5k dirt a year... No hardcore mud or dirt, just the above average NT weekend stuff!

Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: What 4WD Tyre?

Post by Fish Tank »

I love my BF Goodrich Mud Terrains. Quiet for muddies on the hard top and great grip in the dirt and mud. They never slip on the boat ramps.
Sweaty
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sweaty »

Fish Tank wrote:I love my BF Goodrich Mud Terrains. Quiet for muddies on the hard top and great grip in the dirt and mud. They never slip on the boat ramps.
Second that. .. have the BFG M/T KM2 in a 33 inch on my patrol and love them, 40 thousand kms and still going strong
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

I just have wrangler all terrains. Got 60k on them and still more to go. Much better than the coopers I had before. They would slide all over in the wet
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

The problem for any 4wd is that you will always travel many more kms on blacktop than dirt/mud.
But once you get onto slippery roads, you need good traction or you stop very quick;y.
Ive had BFG for years and went to Coopers for a while.
the BFG are very good until they get about 3/4 worn when they are really easy to puncture/stake for some reason. I staked 3 in one day once.... :banghead:

My ute is currently shod with BFG again, not Muddies just the normal A/T but they slip a fair bit even in the slightest bit of wet ground.
Get a winch :rofl:
The dirt here seems to be really soft and has no bottom unlike down south
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Winches are very handy
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Yeah I'm a big fan of the bfg MT had old originals and the km2 just the price is crazy ATM on them
I don't reckon you will get a mud tyre that performs as good as them for all round driving
They are in a league of there own on dirt roads.
I recently chucked some other mud terrains on
Think they are called nangkar MT same profile as the old bfg pattern and have been good poop loads cheaper to bout $250 a tyre for 32x15s
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Not Bridgestone Dueler ATs, seem to wear and chip easily on dirt.
Finatic2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Finatic2 »

I have had 3 sets of BFG ATs and have been really happy with them until my current set, I think they may have changed the compound and they are now cr.p, only got about 45k out of this set, previous ones got around 60-70k. Looking like I am going to the Wranglers
Fish stories told here....some true !!!

When in doubt...exaggerate !!
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

blw wrote:I just have wrangler all terrains. Got 60k on them and still more to go. Much better than the coopers I had before. They would slide all over in the wet
I had Coopers STs before the BFG MTs. The Coopers are absolute cr.p tyres. They chipped on rocky roads, punctured through the side walls easily, slippery on wet roads and wore out quickly.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Fish Tank wrote:
blw wrote:I just have wrangler all terrains. Got 60k on them and still more to go. Much better than the coopers I had before. They would slide all over in the wet
I had Coopers STs before the BFG MTs. The Coopers are absolute cr.p tyres. They chipped on rocky roads, punctured through the side walls easily, slippery on wet roads and wore out quickly.
yep absolutely right. Although many down south swear by them. Maybe better in cooler climates.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Just remember that the softer the compound, the better the grip on the road and the rocks - but the faster they wear.
thats why F1 tyres only do about 50kms in a race. heaps of grip but no life.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Blowrepairs have the Wranglers on sale at 30% off atm......Just bought 5 285 70 17 Silent Armors myself.
Wal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wal »

I have all terrain Mickey t's, get massive mileage out of them but they can be slippery in the wet on bitumen. I haven't had a flat tyre in three years though and that's including strezlecki and birdsville track a few times. They're not cheap though...

I bet I go outside now and have 2 flat tyres after saying that :bonk:
ajbear
Seadog
Seadog

Post by ajbear »

I wouldn't have another set of coopers if they were giving them away!! I got 30,000 km's out of my one and only set before they separated!! I now run BF Goodrich all terrains on the lux and the last set was replaced with 90,000 on them needless to say they were replaced with another set of the same
Just remember if all else fails "try like F##K" !!!!!!!