BF Muddies or AT's
Cooper are poo

LIFE EVOLVES ON THE EDGE
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: What 4WD Tyre?

Post by balou »

Running BF AT at the moment on the lux. No complaints but I do 90% seal road and 10% dirt towing.
Hally10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Hally10 »

I've got wrangler duratrac. One of the hybrid type to come out recently. Love em. They have a decent amount of a silicone compound in the and they never slip in my hilux when the tray is empty. Handle beautifully off road. Towing on dirt is no worries. Wet or dry. Do your research mate there's heaps of different opinions out there and take you time. If you do a lot of highway miles maybe an all terrain would be best.
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

Had two sets of silent armours on the last cruiser and they were excellent, grip, wear and ride. Got talked into BFG A/Ts for the new ride and love em, they ride much softer than the silent armours, which felt much stiffer in the side walls. 75k out of the silent armours and 45k out of the BFG,s so far and they are showing a lot of wear. Don't buy Coopers until you read their website, the minute you go off road, no warranty, even 4WD tyres.
Dex38
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dex38 »

I just replaced my BF Goodrich AT tyres. No bull 120000km tyre on a 100 series Cruiser. They ended up going hard and started to frighten the heck out of me in the wet. I kept the pressures up and rotated them around every 10000km. I mainly did highway 90% and 10% dirt/mud. Nice and quite and keep their balance. I put another set on. They are pricey but I think I got my monies worth that's for sure.

Dex
bugged1989
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bugged1989 »

We have the BFG Km2's 31" on our pajero. Love doing the rocky 4wding every second weekend, drove to and from Kunnanurra and Wyndham, have the camper up top and frequently tow our 6.2M boat. Not an issue. Grant at Turepower helped up with these, fitted them and balanced for a decent price. If you are after a all terrain, go for the wranglers. Father has run these since i was a puppet and they are spot on. Everything from the cut down Zook, Hilux's in many forms and heights not to his Chevy Silverado! Best of luck and make sure they are rated for your car!!
" Peace and Quiet - Loud and Obnoxious more like"
wally gator
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by wally gator »

Dex38 wrote:I just replaced my BF Goodrich AT tyres. No bull 120000km tyre on a 100 series Cruiser. They ended up going hard and started to frighten the heck out of me in the wet. I kept the pressures up and rotated them around every 10000km. I mainly did highway 90% and 10% dirt/mud. Nice and quite and keep their balance. I put another set on. They are pricey but I think I got my monies worth that's for sure.

Dex

Yeah spot there Dex !!! rotation balance and pressure is the key to max life out of big rubber , might be a bit of a hassle but well worth the effort in the long run..
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

I went in to get a set of bfg MT's for my Hilux and the manager talked me into getting the Kenda Klever MT's instead. So far I'm happy with them but yet to get serious off road but will soon no doubt. They look pretty good and not too noisy and cost $250 a tyre.
Don't have the reputation of the bfg brand etc and I have no idea how they will last but at least they weren't too expensive so giving them a crack.

http://www.kendatire.com/en/automotive/ ... klever-mt/
pocketfish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pocketfish »

I have Maxxis bigholes :jester: cos they were cheap, very loud on the road, had em for around 20-30000k's only rounded off edges of the blocks sorta thing. I will be getting BFG muddies if I have the cash next time.
Longrass
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longrass »

Leaning towards the Duratracs now I think, have taken in a lot of the feedback from here and elsewhere, apparently the "Silent Armours" no longer exist and they are called something else now???
Banana Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Banana Man »

I've had the bfg ATs previously and found that they clog up easily when in mud (obviously they aren't a mud tyre), even if ya don't plan to do much mud driving you'd want to have the capability when you need it.. Haven't heard anything bad about the MTs. I swear by mickey Thompson mtz but I haven't had a set long term..
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Anyone running the Goodyear Wrangler MT's Kevlar tyres? Look the goods. Was quoted $530 per tyre the other day! Found them else where for $360 on special. Big difference in local pricing.
Shitzngigglz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Shitzngigglz »

I am currently running Maxxis Bighorn M/T on my Triton ute they seem to do a decent job in the off road stakes however they are POO !!!!! on they blacktop considering going to Yokahama Geolander M/T's and Maxxis Bravo 771 A/T on my 100 series they have been great but once again im considering going to the Geolander in A/T's I have been observing the performance of the Geolanders on a mates 200 series and they are performing pretty good....
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

I got just on 70,000km out of the my first set Geolanders on the Hilux and that included the Plenty Hwy twice, the Tanami and Lajamanu twice and Nathan River Rd twice. Had one flat on the Roper Hwy near Tomato Island, spiked a tyre in the bulldust. Guess what I put on at the start of the year again. No loud road noise either; a good all round tyre.
barratragic
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barratragic »

Just changed from BFG muddies to Wrangler Duratrac's this week on my 100 series.. Couldnt fault the Muddies.. 285/70/16.. was a big tyre to turn. but great in the swamp and up the cape... but at $420 - $490 a tyre they are getting exy.

The duratracs 265/75/16 are quieter, lighter on the steering and they look the goods..
plus City Tyres have/had a buy 3 get one free deal on this week/month. went in with a mate and bought 9 tyres.. got 3 free.. worked out about $277 a tyre.. instead of $370 odd