Wake-up call: Variable Voltage Alternators

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Wake-up call: Variable Voltage Alternators

Post by ronje »

Intending purchasers of new 4wds need to be aware that the days of the VSR (voltage sensitive relays) appear to be numbered.

Due to impending changes to vehicle standards and technology, new vehicles are going to be fitted with these new alternators which are controlled by the ECU.

Basically the idea is to reduce emissions by improving the fuel efficiency of the vehicle. Reducing the load on the alternator improves fuel efficiency so .........the ECU instructs the alternator to reduce the charging voltage for the vehicle's battery when the ECU determines that the battery is charged. The ECU can reduce the alternator voltage level below that which VSRs operate thus leading to zero charge going to any second battery.

Result is a flat secondary battery.

Some VSR providers (like RedArc) have fixes for the problems created.

However, be aware that its happening and factor it in to any thoughts about dual battery systems in new vehicles.

It won't take long for the same technology to be introduced to outboard motors is my guess.

Regards
Ronje
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Wake-up call: Variable Voltage Alternators

Post by grumpy »

Interesting thanks Ronje.

Might be time to go back to the old days and have a changeover switch to alternate which battery is the main one being used thereby keeping full charge in both. This is what I still have in the boat only takes a couple of seconds to change them over.

Just a thought.

Cheers
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
George
Seadog
Seadog

Post by George »

I had a customer in the workshop a while back and he had a parado (secondhand) and it was fitted with this charging system. He was having all sorts of trouble with a second battery, and yes he was telling me having to fit a diode into the wiring to trick the alternator so that his second battery would charge. So this tech is indeed out there already and has been for some time. Not sure how old the parado was, 2010 maybe, not that old.

Cheers
Custom Plate Boats
Boat modifications
Trailer and repairs

http://www.fishingterritory.com
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Have you heard/seen anything along these lines with o/b motors George?
Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Maybe they are:

http://outboardmarine.co.nz/Evinrude-E-TEC-V4-Outboards

Check out the alternator specs. Wording used isn't quite clear. Yamaha does the same thing.

Might ask a few of them if these VVRs affect VSR switches for second battery charging like they do on motor vehicles.

Will post responses.
Regards
Ronje
Nika
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Nika »

On my prado I use a redarc bcdc charger and isolate the battery's with a isolator switch, when you need the second battery just hit the switch. Battery's are always charged and it will even run the fridge without using power from the battery.
Nick
4WD, boats, beer, is there a theme here?
George
Seadog
Seadog

Post by George »

Yea that certainly sounds like it Ron, I myself haven't looked into it. But the whole purpose of the tec is to reduce load on the engine to reduce emissions. So you can imagine that any two stroke manufacture that is still running today will be using every trick in the book to keep their outboard brand alive.
However with the amount of electrics that people run today that draw large percentages of the outboards tiny output I would not imagine that it is not supplying a constant positive charge. And the fact that an out board that doesn't provide a positive charge is asking for trouble. Can you imagine being in a remote locality and finding that the outboard hasn't been supplying full charge, just to save couple ltrs of fuel. Then breakdown due to this, sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
If there were more hours in the day I would look into it a bit more.
Cheers
Custom Plate Boats
Boat modifications
Trailer and repairs

http://www.fishingterritory.com
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Not so much worried about o/boards not charging starting batteries.

I think the real problem is VSR switching off when the alternator turns itself down.

RedArc have a fix called the BCDC charger apparently.

Another company has a fix as well which involves yet another relay.

Should imagine most impact will be with vehicles following euro standards though.

Some vehicles already have the VVA like new Ford Ranger and some have made provision for it but haven't yet connected it up to the car's computer management system (like Mazda BT50).

I think its a problem in progress and we'll hear more about it.

Been thinking about a new dualcab so its just another thing to keep in mind.
Regards
Ronje
Kp NT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kp NT »

I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.” - Steven Wright

"If you want to maintain a sustainable supply of fish you have to farm the fish, rather than mine them. So putting your money into fishing fleets that are going to exacerbate the problem by over-fishing is not the way to preserve the underlying asset."
Maurice Strong