Re: Foton 4WD coming to town

Post by GoodLookinPete »

I must rush out and not buy one.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

This is based on the reputation of previous Chinese vehicles? Or something you know about the Foton?

I see in the comments someone claiming that "RACV/ RACQ/ RACT stats showed that Mitsubishi and Hyundai were the most reliable vehicles" ... don't know if it is true ... but if it is, perhaps a surprise for some!
skinny joel
Seadog
Seadog

Post by skinny joel »

chinese cummins though, wont be to long and these things will be just as good as the yota and pootrol, but at a normal persons affordable price.
human guppy
GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by GoodLookinPete »

Both Matt, the Chinese manufacturers have shown a tendency to be a little light on with quality control, and to be fair Holden with the Monaro were about as poor as you can get with consistency of output but that is a different story, there is also a demonstrated tendency to cut costs, quality of bearings is a case in point. The Cummins engine is indeed a very strong selling point until you get down to the nitty gritty, this is not your average Cummins engine, in fact it is something considerably less, as skinny joel said, Chinese Cummins.

I do recall saying the same thing about the Japanese cars in the early seventies though so stand by for a force to be reckoned with in the very near future.
trevor schultz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by trevor schultz »

cummins with a ZF transmission sounds the goods, wonder what the rest of the build quality is like ??
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Never buy anything from China with more than two moving parts!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I was looking at Foton tractors a while back when I was contemplating growing taters etc on my hobby farm. Fortunately I got over that idea (growing taters), but I did recall that the Foton was one of the best regarded Chinese tractors on the various public forums.

And there are a LOT of Chinese tractors.

The Foton 4WD will get a lot of attention when it arrives - if it is half good and priced right the other brands are going to do some fast work to retain market.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Sounds like a modern day TATA oh remember them??

Great wall ... Death trap

From an old farmers point of view and a diesel fitters view I would keep my $$ in my pocket for the next 4-5 years...
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Hi Seano,
I assume you'll be buying handlines only soon 'cause I suspect that a lot of reels, even if they are not made in China, will probably have a couple of Chinese parts in them...... :lol: Oh, and better check where most of the lures we buy are made too - you might have to spend your evenings bending up old spoons and whittling bits of wood too. :rofl: :mrgreen:

But, would I buy a Chinese made car or tractor? Not on your life; maybe in ten years time though they will build a decent one.
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Good writeup here ... http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor. ... AA00102B77

"larger than the Great Wall and most of the Japanese utes such as HiLux, Navara and Triton while being comparable to the new breed such as Ford Ranger, Mazda BT-50, VW Amarok and the forthcoming Isuzu D-Max and Holden Colorado".

Standard equipment - air-conditioning, cloth seats, power exterior mirrors, two-speaker audio with radio, CD player and auxiliary input, 16-inch steel wheels, rear foglights and a load-sensing brake proportioning valve. Optional items ABS and airbags, power folding mirrors, front foglights and 17-inch alloy wheels.

Luxury model - alloys and foglights as standard, parking sensors, four-speaker sound, leather seats.

Quoted on a website, $30k single cab and $40k luxury dual cab.

The engine is a Foton-made 2.8-litre turbo-diesel co-developed by Cummins. Don't know the story with the rest of the components, someone might find some links to put up, but the write-up above says Cummins-developed engine, Getrag gearbox, Borg Warner transfer case and Dana axles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skinny joel
Seadog
Seadog

Post by skinny joel »

all the nay sayers.... you know the hilux is made in thailand right?
hahahahahahahahahaha
human guppy
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

... and a better made vehicle than any Australian made car too! I thInk the Honda Jazz and CRV are made there as well, although I think the CRV we see here is made in Japan.
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Trier wrote:Hi Seano,
I assume you'll be buying handlines only soon 'cause I suspect that a lot of reels, even if they are not made in China, will probably have a couple of Chinese parts in them...... :lol: Oh, and better check where most of the lures we buy are made too - you might have to spend your evenings bending up old spoons and whittling bits of wood too. :rofl: :mrgreen:

But, would I buy a Chinese made car or tractor? Not on your life; maybe in ten years time though they will build a decent one.
My reels are made in sweden and japan!-Sounds like all the important parts are not made in China any way...
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

If you took everything out of Australia that had more than two Chinese moving parts the nation would come to an immediate standstill, probably including the ADF :lol: