2006 SR hilux blowing white smoke.

balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

2006 SR hilux blowing white smoke.

Post by balou »

My 2006 Hilux has started blowing blue-ish white smoke in the last 3 weeks when starting it (not just a puff, but a massive cloud), its only for a few seconds when first started. It doesnt happen all time but mainly when it parked on a angle.

The machanic reckon the injectors are shot at will need replacing for $3,100. :shock: :shock:

Does this sound like right for a diesel which has done only 125k Km.

Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: 2006 SR hilux blowing white smoke.

Post by Basstad »

Yep.......the D4D 3.0 has had issues with the injector seals..........The early ones gravel the oil which in turn clogs the oil pickup starving lubrication to the cylnders.

google D4D injector issues............thousands of cases.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Go see Clint a MTQ .. He will tell ya what it needs.
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
googz
Seadog
Seadog

Post by googz »

does it rattle when it is warming up? i just had to have the injectors replaced in my hilux, no smoke but bad rattle sounded like the engine was gunna fall out of the car
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

googz wrote:does it rattle when it is warming up? i just had to have the injectors replaced in my hilux, no smoke but bad rattle sounded like the engine was gunna fall out of the car
Nah mate no rattle just a big puff of smoke and evrything just run fine after that as far as I no.
How much did it cost you to replace injectors ?
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Could be An oil seal on top of the injectors a mates car done the same thing only a small copper type washers wears out with the high pressure of the common rail apparently !
Wrighty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Wrighty »

Injectors very sensitive on the new hilux's.
Approx 9 months ago I got a gut full of water from the servo. Drove about 5km down the road and light on dash came on so pulled over and drained water out of filter. Thought it may have just built up over time and just reached the level required to activate the light. Got another couple km's and light came on again. drained water out once again and drove the remaining 5km home without light coming on again. Turned car off, took shopping inside, came back out and tried to start again and wouldn't start. Drained tank and fuel lines, replaced filter and put 20l of new diesel (from different servo) but still wouldnt start.

Long story short. Injectors, common rail and pump all had to be replaced at a cost of around $8000. All from about 10km worth of driving!
Luckily for me BP covered cost of everything.
I am now very careful of where I get fuel from in the wet season. This particular servo had a lot of work done after that date to their diesel tanks as they were sitting low and there was always puddles around them in the wet.
Doesnt really answer your question balou but after having a look on the net for similar problems it was amazing how many cases there are of exactly the same thing happening.
Love my hilux, but they definitely dont make them as tough as they used to.....
Wouldn't want it to happen out in the middle of nowhere on a trip around aus.

PM me if you would like to know which servo
googz
Seadog
Seadog

Post by googz »

was about $3500 to replace injectors, pretty ridiculous. common problem on the d4d engines though. i have had a few mates that have also had theirs replaced also. the jets in the old injectors tend to flog out after a while but the new type of injectors arent ever supposed to do this.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Don't just get the injectors replaced and think thats it...........make sure you get the sump off and get the oil pickup cleaned aswell....they clog up and result in oil starvation..........complete re-build then.
Toxic
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Toxic »

That's why the new ones have gone back to direct injection.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Toxic wrote:That's why the new ones have gone back to direct injection.

Direct injection common rail.......still the same engine/injection.......hav'nt changed.
General Maximus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by General Maximus »

Have a look at the valve stem seals.
Do you get smoke out the back while driving when you back off/coast for a bit then floor it ?
Sounds more oil related then fuel.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

General Maximus wrote:Have a look at the valve stem seals.
Do you get smoke out the back while driving when you back off/coast for a bit then floor it ?
GM it's only when I start it up after parking on an incline (sometimes level) and not all the time. Just a buff of white smoke then it goes away.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

balou wrote:
General Maximus wrote:Have a look at the valve stem seals.
GM it's only when I start it up after parking on an incline (sometimes level) and not all the time. Just a buff of white smoke then it goes away.

I've been researching some issues with this engine..........parking it on an incline overnight is one of the ways to tell if the injector seals are cactus(leaking).........it sounds like thats whats the problem with yours mate..........apparently Number 0ne injector is the usual culprit.........

They leak fuel into the sump which inturn breaks down some elements in the oil which carbons up the oil pick up........then starves the engine.

get onto it asap.
jersy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jersy »

Had a similar thing happen with a 3.0 ltr Isuzu. The turbo had s*#t itself. Turned ugly pretty quickly. I was assuming injectors, as well.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!