2006 SR hilux blowing white smoke.

Wal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2006 SR hilux blowing white smoke.

Post by Wal »

Hey Scottmac, they need to be coded into the ecu after fitting, anywhere with a good scan tool should be able to do it in no time.

Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

With due respect and honesty, I haven't heard of a direct injection injectors being coded to the ecu after fitting them. Direct injection injectors are in nature electronic solenoids pulsed by ecu. The length of pulse ( spray ) is governed by datas given to ecu by a lot of sensors,,, intake manifold, map, engine temp sensor, throttle position, vehicle speed, loads , elevation amongst others. Injectors have constant parameters with which ecu ( electronic control unit, or vehicle computer) can only dictate as per datas given to it and as per injector parameters. If the mechanic hook up a diagnostic scan tool, its more likely to check fault codes and datas, pulse ranges within or out of specs but to Not to code injectors to the ecu. Injectors as I said, have constant parameters, they can trim fuel trim but that's via remapping the ecu . Injector will just follow what the ecu says, only as per it's designed parameters. In common rail direct inj engines, a single leaky injector meaning a faulty solenoid not shutting properly, can cause blackish smoke on start up, if the turbo is leaking oil,feeding it to intake manifold, can cause bluish smokes only on start up. But then again , a faulty fuel pump, pressure not up to scratch can do the same. Just don't forget, injectors are the terminal end of fuel delivery, anything before it, could be the culprit too.
There is a strange feeling about land-based fishing that lures me back time after time.....by Jarrod Day @ fishingmonthly.com.au
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Cheers everyone, we shall see I suppose. The injectors were diagnosed as faulty by my mechanic, so we'll see if he's fair dinkum or not. The guy I bought the injectors off said he would send me some information on how to program the injectors manually, whatever that means?
Cozzy0011
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cozzy0011 »

Plate size, As a mechanic, I have personally changed injectors in the new landcruisers which have had to be programmed to the original ECU. This alone adds 1500$ to the repair costs. This is done through a scan too. Same as new keys need to be done.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Well the instructions I got to manually program the injectors is something like- install injectors, disconnect battery, reconnect, start and idle for five minutes, disconnect battery again, start and drive around the block, disconnect again and then your good to go. So thing like that, I haven't got them in front of me. Sounds weird, but disconnecting the battery resets the Ecu for some things on my bike.
Cozzy, how the f$&k can it cost $1500 to program them?
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

scottmac wrote:Well the instructions I got to manually program the injectors is something like- install injectors, disconnect battery, reconnect, start and idle for five minutes, disconnect battery again, start and drive around the block, disconnect again and then your good to go. So thing like that, I haven't got them in front of me. Sounds weird, but disconnecting the battery resets the Ecu for some things on my bike.
Cozzy, how the f$&k can it cost $1500 to program them?
coz of the little badge on the front
Wal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wal »

Because of the high pressure of common rail diesels (20,000psi+) and the very very fine tolerances of the injectors (microns of clearance) they can't make them all flow the same when mass produced! So the calibration code on each injector lets the ecu know how much it needs to compensate fuel timing etc. so each cylinder makes the same amount of power, therefore running smoother.
The manual way should get it running smooth enough though, anyway you can only try it and if its all good the you've saved yourself some coin!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Found today that-my mates ranger died on the side of the road. It was coffing and spattering for about 10 mins before it completely died and was towed to the dealership. It been there 10 days and it still not going. They estimate it going to be over 10k to fix and caused was contaminated fuel stuffing the injectors .

The car is only 18 months old.

Surely there's got to be more protection against contaminated fuel in these late model cars.
Wal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wal »

Couldn't agree more balou but I spose that means less profit for the car companies! I wouldn't buy a diesel now without putting on a second aftermarket fuel/water separator
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Does anybody know if you can remove the sump without lifting the engine? I want to clean the oil pickup.
rumbo76
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by rumbo76 »

My Bosses old hilux did the same thing when parked an angle engine down hill slightly ,the company still has the car and still does the same thing done another 100,000 km since it started doesn't miss a beat and had our mechanics look at it over and over when it started and couldn't find the problem but like i said still runs fine,it is also an 06 hilux sr5
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

rumbo76 wrote:My Bosses old hilux did the same thing when parked an angle engine down hill slightly ,the company still has the car and still does the same thing done another 100,000 km since it started doesn't miss a beat and had our mechanics look at it over and over when it started and couldn't find the problem but like i said still runs fine,it is also an 06 hilux sr5
Hey Antman! Well I just changed out my injectors and guess what? No more smoke when parking down hill. The problem is the washers at the bottom of the injectors, not the injectors themselves, though if the problem has been there for a while the injectors will be shot as well. It's funny, three of mine were caked in sh!t but the fourth (closest to firewall) was like new.

Tell your boss to tell his mechanics, they should know anyway. I went through three or four mechanics myself to no avail, I should have just googled a bit more and found the solution 12 f$&cking months ago! :banghead: :banghead:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rumbo76
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by rumbo76 »

Hey Bud how ya going,glad to hear you got yours all fixed will have to let the boss know what the Go is and yes they should know.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

scottmac wrote:
rumbo76 wrote:My Bosses old hilux did the same thing when parked an angle engine down hill slightly ,the company still has the car and still does the same thing done another 100,000 km since it started doesn't miss a beat and had our mechanics look at it over and over when it started and couldn't find the problem but like i said still runs fine,it is also an 06 hilux sr5
Hey Antman! Well I just changed out my injectors and guess what? No more smoke when parking down hill. The problem is the washers at the bottom of the injectors, not the injectors themselves, though if the problem has been there for a while the injectors will be shot as well. It's funny, three of mine were caked in sh!t but the fourth (closest to firewall) was like new.

Tell your boss to tell his mechanics, they should know anyway. I went through three or four mechanics myself to no avail, I should have just googled a bit more and found the solution 12 f$&cking months ago! :banghead: :banghead:
Thats a lot of cr.p on those injectors.

Did you notice a massive improvement in power? I reckon I lost about 50% of my power when the injectors were rooted.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Yeah I'm pretty sure I mentioned the washer one a topic somewhere on here and a mates car blowing smoke. ! He just replaced all the washers and jobs done