2006 SR hilux blowing white smoke.

scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: 2006 SR hilux blowing white smoke.

Post by scottmac »

Argh! Why didn't I see this thread when it started? I put up a thread here somewhere, asking about the blowing smoke when parked on a slope,just after i bought my Hilux, but didnt get any responses. Mines got worse since then, and I just found out the turbos leaking oil and needs replacing as well.

I was planning to change out the injectors myself, but reading Basstads post above it might be terminal. Mine has been blowing smoke after parked on an angle since I bought it. I knew fuel must have been getting into the cylinders, but no mechanic could give me a reason why. F$&king useless, you would think with all the Hiluxs up here, someone would know?

Balou, how did you go with your car?

Wal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wal »

This can happen when the copper seal leaks that the injector seats down on, long story short when parked and oil sits on top of the head it can weep down past the injector and into the cylinder. Otherwise it could be the oil mist from the leaking turbo seal collecting and pooling in the intercooler and then when parked on a slope, it runs down into the intake. Also the injectors need to be programmed into the ecu after they are installed.

Probably no help to you but thought I'd put my two cents in...

Good luck!!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Oops I thought I put up a post already about my repairs...

Scottmac, it sounds like your lux got the same issues as mine.

2 of my injectors were completed stuff due to contaminated water in the diesel.
I rang afew places which ranged from 3500 to 10,000. Toyota quoted the highest saying 10k was reasonable and I told them to stick that up their bums.

One of my mates put me onto jje in yarrawonga. Can't remember bloke name ( keen fisho) but he knew exactly what was wrong after the initial inspection. From memory it was an hour labour for the diagnostic.

JJE replaced all 4 injectors , replaced all the gaskets in motor and put in a auxiliary fuel filter. Sorry Im not very mechanical but he replaced and checked everything in the motor. He also did a full service.

It came in just under 4k which is reasonable I guess.

After the repairs the lux had about 40% more power and obviously stop blowing white smoke.

Apperently it's very common fault in the d4d motors. Toyota has recalled the motor everywhere in the world for upgrade of a part to fix the problem. But Toyota Australia has not done anything but put their head in the sand in denial.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Cheers mate. I don't know what to do. With new injectors plus a new turbo and the rear diff has a whine now, it's going to cost me 10G+. Might just do the injectors and trade it to a shonky dealer for revenge!
Bennie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bennie »

scottmac wrote:Cheers mate. I don't know what to do. With new injectors plus a new turbo and the rear diff has a whine now, it's going to cost me 10G+. Might just do the injectors and trade it to a shonky dealer for revenge!
Hey scottmac,

Check out Baileys Injectors. These guys have found a way to refurbish injectors and get them within spec again for a fraction of the cost of new ones. $1100 for a set of 4 replacement injectors, but you have to send them your old ones.
http://www.baileysdiesel.com/on-highway/

The best place for any hilux info is the NewHilux forum. Check it out at www.newhilux.net. There are thousands of cases of injector problems on there and even DIY guides for replacing them yourself.

Lucky my '05 is still going strong with the original injectors, but everytime I do a service I check the oil sump screen for contamination. Apparently it's the first sign of the injector seals going.

Cheers,

Bennie
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Have a look on Pradopoint aswell.......plenty of good info on what to do......Bailys also advertise there.........They seem to have been able to re-manufacture the injectors at a good price and they also carry warranty.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

I think they give twice the standard warranty
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

whitish bluish smokes on start up ( only) on angles? when did u have the oil changed? if not long ago? what was the grade and oil type used?
check your coolant/ radiator/ expansion bottle..are you loosing coolant?. don't go haywire looking into injectors, black smoke means injectors or fuel system probs. ...theres 1001 theories, only one will hold true. 1000 is with Kerry holden :rofl:
btw, don't rely on dealership technicians. diagnostics is only as good or bad as the person that last look into it. it could be a smart ass apprentice. you go in cheap backyard workshops that did not have updates for the 15 years..you will have more probs. research some decent workshops. if you think you are in for a big motor vehicle repairs, ..there should not be any trial and error. :)
u can replace injector seals or retighten injectors for a try, dinj injectors are costly.
There is a strange feeling about land-based fishing that lures me back time after time.....by Jarrod Day @ fishingmonthly.com.au
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Already bought the injectors. $1600 new off eBay. I know the old ones a rooted, you can here it on startup etc. cheers for all the advice here. I will change them out myself this weekend/next week on R&R. I would rather be fishing!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Sounds diffenitely like the injectors are rooted. At least you save yourself a couple thousand doing it yourself. Do you have a second fuel filter.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Not yet mate, but I will install one at the same time. What type did you get? One with a sight glass at the bottom that separates the water?
HODGY
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by HODGY »

put some injector cleaner through it first. My 2005 SR5 was starting to do the same thing. $18 worth of petrol station injector cleaner and it works awesome again and no smoke. and hasn't for about 3000 Km

HODGY
tubbs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tubbs »

there is a place in Palmerston that can ultrasonic clean and overhaul injectors for a fraction of the cost of replacing them. he can flow test them as well for you. he did the injectors for my outboard and it made a big difference
UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UncleD »

On the advice of our mechanic (All Rural in Humpty Doo) we change our fuel filter each service as this is a known problem.
My Giddy Aunt!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

scottmac wrote:Not yet mate, but I will install one at the same time. What type did you get? One with a sight glass at the bottom that separates the water?
I have the fuel filter with the clear bulb on the bottom. JJE told if you see the engine light flash on pull ever and drain the bulb immediate. I check it every second time I fill up just in case