Issues with break lights

pops70
Silver Member
Silver Member

Issues with break lights

Post by pops70 »

Hi everyone.

I've just had to add additional lights on the fenders of my trailer, as it wasn't a requirement in QLD.
So far, so good.

Since that little cosmetic operation, my break lights only function correctly when my lights are turned on.
We first noticed that I had no break lights at all, when I went for the roadworthy and it just doesn't make sense, as the additional lights were just added on.

Has anyone an idea where to start looking, as I don't really want to start cutting open all that expensive heat shrink tubing.
What I did notice, is that when I went to the MVR, they didn't work at all. Once at home, some WD40 into the plug got them working again.
What I didn't realise then was that they only worked with lights on.

All lights are LED lights.

Cheers

Tim

justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Issues with break lights

Post by justin »

Check the earth wire white, check that the brake lights and tail light are wired around the corect way. The side lights should be wired into the brown wire and the cente pin on a round plug and the earth wire white.
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
rosco84
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rosco84 »

Sounds like a bad earth
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Easy just always have ya lights on or seriously other guys have great ideas

cheers
Craig
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Trailer lights are my pet hate whenever I buy a trailer (boat or otherwise), they always are faulty. There are some great websites on "how to wire up boat trailer" that gives you tips and troubleshooting ideas. YouTube is awesome! Best of luck.
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
pops70
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pops70 »

Thanks guys ....

As the lights were working before, I focused on the connection to the car. One more spray with WD40 and a wiggle seemed to get them to work separately from the lights.
I bent all contacts so they would not hold on the pins loosely and voila ..... all sorted.

My pet hate ..... trailer plugs !!!!
rosco84
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rosco84 »

Id still rip the plug apart make sure u don't have cores that are hanging on by one strand, doesn't take much to wire a plug and if you get stuck just google it, they cop a fair bit of flogging putting in and out all the time
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

rosco84 wrote:Id still rip the plug apart make sure u don't have cores that are hanging on by one strand, doesn't take much to wire a plug and if you get stuck just google it, they cop a fair bit of flogging putting in and out all the time
I agree. My trailer lights weren't working really well so I changed out the trailer end. Corroded as shite. Some lights worked but not all. I then changed the car end and all are sweet now. Also added a small smear of silicone around the seams of the plug and the cable hole. Figured the corrosion was pretty much from launching from Dundee and Shady