Help with trailer slide and rollers set up for Hornet

Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Help with trailer slide and rollers set up for Hornet

Post by Andy Grey »

Hi not sure if this has been covered before and if so can you point me in the right direction. I am looking for some advice on set up of cotton pin rollers and bunks for my Hornet. I have read that the Quintrex should sit on the keel on the rollers with 60% supported on the keel and 40% on the side bunks. Does anyone think this is correct. I am also not sure about the rear and center direction slides on my trailer with regards to the height of these slides? I have attached some photos. One of my bunks doesn't even support the hull so will need adjusting so i am trying to find out about the correct set up so to do it all properly in one go. I will be towing long distances shortly and want to make sure i am doing the right thing by my 4.35's hull by supporting it correctly. Cheers for any advice or assistance. Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Help with trailer slide and rollers set up for Hornet

Post by balou »

All of the weight on the centre rollers as the slides are there to stabilise the hull only.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Balou is correct........alloy boats Hornets included should be supported along the Keel through the centreline of the hull.

Problem with most trailers it they don't have enough rollers through the center to support the boat properly and that's when they start resting on the skids and start deforming/cracking the hulls.
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

Andy Grey??? Back in Aus these days?
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
Wal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wal »

Also make sure that none of those guide skids (the east-west ones) don't touch the hull as they can rub through believe it or not!
pagey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by pagey »

Also I would move your outer hull supports (north/south) a little further out away from the rib on the hull. I have had first had experience with my hornet on a trip to coburg where the hull/rib has exerted enough pressure due to movment/corrugations to cause the pop rivet and teflon to become detached ----- result was the edge of the box section rubbing a nice hole thru the hull.
a day at work is a day wasted
Silence is Golden, and Duct tape is SILVER

"Fool proof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools." -Ken Clayton

'When the world is made to be idiot-proof, the world will become overpopulated with idiots.'
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Awesome thanks heaps guys really appreciate the tips and info...feeling better about setting things up now. Do you have the rollers and slides down as low as possible? Mine at the transom end are bottomed out leaving all the adjustment hanging down low below the trailer, did anyone cut theres off to allow for more clearance under the rear of the trailer? Yeah back in oz Dodgy One been down on Rottnest for 3.5 years but heading back up Darwin way next year for serious fishing time.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Yeah mate get your center rollers as low as practical then bring your skids up to suit.
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Awesome thanks Basstad. I don't really have much to do apart from a little re-alignment which is pleasing. Did you chop the roller supports left overs off from underneath the trailer, i am worried about clearance and if they don't need to go up again would i be better trimming them and spot welding the roller supports in place?
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Yes I have cut the excess off before it's a good idea as they can get caught up on things.............I had one get caught up at 4Mile hole once and it just ripped it out of the box section.
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Cheers guys, thanks Pagey re the slide tip too, and yeah i think i will do the same with the excess Basstad that would ruin a trip for sure.
pagey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by pagey »

Andy,

Yeah I chopped the excess and then welded the spigot/post. As everyone has said, drop the keel as low as you can and adjust the slides to suit.
a day at work is a day wasted
Silence is Golden, and Duct tape is SILVER

"Fool proof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools." -Ken Clayton

'When the world is made to be idiot-proof, the world will become overpopulated with idiots.'
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Thanks Pagey feeling good now that i have had a bit of advice on this stuff. Looking forward to some good times up north again soon.