who is an AFANT member?

Put your poll about non-fishing topics here.

Are you an AFANT member?

YES
30%
NO
38%
WAS
14%
THINKING ABOUT BECOMING
10%
WILL NEVER BE ONE
8%

Total votes: 50

Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

who is an AFANT member?

Post by Andy Grey »

So who is ? Interested to see how many member belong to AFANT or used to be.

http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: who is an AFANT member?

Post by Lats »

I am
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Yep
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Might be worth adding an option of "yes, through club membership"
I'm a member of a fishing club, which also gives me afant membership. How ever, have nothing to do with afant, never been to a meeting.
Possibly would have been inspired enough to join up, (is I wasn't a member through a club) not sure. I personally think it's a little off that the amateur fishing association also represents the charter boys. I beleave it makes them a bit impartial. When you hear of different bag limits put in place for fto's or letting charter boats / cars drive on closed roads whilst the amateur fisho sits and waits for the road to be opened.
Just my 2c worth
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Yep
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Sorry Mickkk but AFANT most definitely does not represent the tour fishing operators, The Northern Territory Guided Fishing Industry Association (NTGFIA) does that job and while they have worked very well with AFANT in the past AFANT does not represent them.

There are no differences in bag limits for charter operators and rec fishermen, though I don't know what you are referring to in regards to opening roads??

Obviously I am an AFANT member. Both personally and through several clubs I belong to.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

G'day Tristan,
I may be miss informed, 99 % of my info come from this forum.
Re the different laws for the charter operators, whilst they are not just for the charter fellas, they were put in place for them.

And this is why I thought that afant represented the fto's.

But if it's not the case that's great.

Not to p..s in your pocket Tristan, but you were the reason I would have been inspired to join up (if I were not already a member through a club)
I thought it was great that you were so involved here and with the clubs.
I have not heard anything from the new fella, or if one has been appointed yet. But if so, it's pretty poor that he ain't jumped on here and introduced them self.
I think having an active afant representative in here made a massive difference to the general opinion of afant.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Afant been very quiet since you left Tristan.As Mickkk says it was good getting some input while you
there.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, it means a lot to me.

David Ciaravolo is the new AFANT EO, I think he will be great for the organization and rec fishing in the NT. He only started two weeks ago so give him time to find his feet. I'll encourage him to join the forum.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Looks like the wheel has turned full circle. RecFish is back like Lazarus with a triple bypass (to quote John Howard).

If AFANT wants bureaucracy, this appointment is the way to get it.
Regards
Ronje
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

yep ime in
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Nope. I work and pay my taxes. That is all the representation I need. If I have a concern about fishing related matters, that is what my local MLA is for.

I also believe that when NGO's take funding from tax dollars, by default they are morally obliged to represent all tax payers rather than just a financial membership. AFANT should stand on it's own two feet and their funding actually be put into rec fishing initiatives rather than a mere lobby group.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

I'm certainly interested to see what the new head honcho has to say. Some will question the value of AFANT but from what I have seen they work with what they have. Strike me down now for saying this but look at RecFishWA and the pull they have with the revenue from licences and rego, if AFANT had that revenue imagine the things we would get then!

Any improvement/input to a facility, to bag limits, conservation zones and commercial licences is welcome and I hope that the good work continues.

As mickkk said I too am afilliated via a fishing club without voting rights which I think for now is enough considering the lobbying that I have seen so far.
Bruce Simpson
197 Pioneer Sportfish - 175hp Honda.
Ex Sandgroper from Karratha
Member of KBGFC and DGFC.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

mickkk wrote: I thought it was great that you were so involved here and with the clubs.
I have not heard anything from the new fella, or if one has been appointed yet. But if so, it's pretty poor that he ain't jumped on here and introduced them self.
I think having an active afant representative in here made a massive difference to the general opinion of afant.
Second that.