What's your ratio?

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

What's your ratio of barra fishing vs chasing other fish?

100% barra
10%
70/30
42%
50/50
27%
30/70
13%
100% other fish
7%

Total votes: 67

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

What's your ratio?

Post by Matt Flynn »

Through a whole year, what's your ratio of barramundi fishing vs chasing other fish?

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: What's your ratio?

Post by theodosius »

Mostly barra, but got keen on tuna chasing and mackerel jigging last year too
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Mostly barra as reef fish aren't really releasable. And barra can be targeted all year using different techniques and locatiions. The sea Dogs comp probably got me back chasing more different species before every round added barra to it and it became easier to target barra for most of the year.
FTRAINED
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FTRAINED »

Pelagics all the way!
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I used to be predominantly blue water with a sprinkling of barra but in recent times I have seemed to have caught the barra bug. Probably due to a slight increase in success and conversion rates chasing them. Put it this way, I dont think that I have had goldie in the freezer for over 6 months now. Its mostly threadfin and jewfish which are by catches of my barra fishing (any barra kept are quickly eaten)
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

My fishing has done a full 360 it used to be %70 Reef fish and %30 Barra it is now %70 Barra and %30 Reef.

Reason being for the turn around is the new bag limits, I can't justify spending $400 on a 2 or 3 day Reef fishing trip to catch a couple of fish at a remote location when I can just go locally to catch a Barra and spend bugger all.

(Don't want to get started on bag limits)
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

I was mostly blue water but last year saw me hunting barra more and more
As much as I love the blue I'm with grumpy ,the costs for a couple of fish
is hard to justify .
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

grumpy wrote:My fishing has done a full 360 it used to be %70 Reef fish and %30 Barra it is now %70 Barra and %30 Reef.

Reason being for the turn around is the new bag limits, I can't justify spending $400 on a 2 or 3 day Reef fishing trip to catch a couple of fish at a remote location when I can just go locally to catch a Barra and spend bugger all.

(Don't want to get started on bag limits)
grumpy wrote: I was mostly blue water but last year saw me hunting barra more and more
As much as I love the blue I'm with grumpy ,the costs for a couple of fish
is hard to justify
Yep - me x3.
New bag limits are farked in respect to multi day remote trips (the 'old' bag limits were bad enough!!).
So I guess the tossers that imposed the bag limits on us have won - sounds like they've effectively stopped many people fishing bluewater all together. :evil:
That, and the fact of getting a bit senior, chasing barra in protected waters close to home I find it much easier to rustle up a crew.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

New bag limits are farked, especially if your favourite target are Goldies.
I'm about 80% reef and 20% Barra. It used to 50/50 but haven't caught a big one for afew years so the motivation not there anymore. The million $ fish has influenced afew trips in the last 3 months.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

funnily enough I am the opposite. Its not so long ago I was 100% barra. But trying to get a spot to yourself is lke pulling teeth. Been doing a lot more bluewater latley at leas there's no people.

Agreed bag limits are puss all its done from my end as I kill less goldies and more cockroach's
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

I wonder if one of the political parties think there would be traction in overturning the bag limits as a lever to gain votes at the next election??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :idea: :idea:

What was the saying "I FISH AND I VOTE" ???
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

If only grumpy,, reckon you could start a new party on that alone and Win
Chubbs93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chubbs93 »

20/80 haven't had a lot of luck with barra and hate coming home fish less so thats main reason I target reef species more although im keen to target them more just need to improve my skills, fish limits are a pity I dont understand why they dont send pros out wider so coastal waters dont get hit so hard
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

The only thing that the new bag limits have done is encourage me to fish Dundee more than other places. It is the one area that you can target different species with in the same 50km stretch of water. Every where else is just goldies and Jew. 2 hours fishing and they are usually bagged out and you are left with fark all options.

The new bag limit hasn't changed the number of fish I kill on a trip but pushed the pressure onto different fish.
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

cuddlescooper wrote:The new bag limit hasn't changed the number of fish I kill on a trip but pushed the pressure onto different fish.
You have made me think as I never thought of it this way cuddlescooper. :idea:

Your right except for the different species if and when we go reef fishing we are still killing the same NUMBERS of fish :banghead: just chucking them back to feed the sharks. :banghead:

Return to “Fishing Polls”