Is it a good year for Darwin golden snapper?

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Good
48%
Average
40%
Poor
13%

Total votes: 48

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I am getting reports of some of the best goldie fishing for ages, with big goldies at the usual marks around Darwin. Is it a good year for Darwin golden snapper?

Or is it just a blip in the cycle? Or are people just saying it's good because they don't want the proposed reef fishing restrictions?

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Is it a good year for Darwin golden snapper?

Post by jeffish »

Well I'll put in the first vote for a good year just check out my last couple of posts . I fish mainly out of the harbour but a lot of mates
fishing in the harbour are doing well too. The main thing I've noticed is size and quality, all very healthy. Also getting them on some old
marks that havn't fished well for goldies in ages :D
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I reckon it will be a great year for reef fish. Good friends with an ex prawner who believes it will be a bumper year for prawns. The fish will follow the food
ken_gilchrist
Seadog
Seadog

Post by ken_gilchrist »

Went to the harbour yesterday, we did get a few goldies too. Only one worth keeping, but I dont remeber getting so many in such a short space of time.

Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
dannott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dannott »

I don't know if it's a good year or not as I haven't been up here long, but I haven't had any problems finding a coupling of good ones in the harbour each time I go out. Dundee last weekend seemed to be chocker block full of good sized ones too where ever we went. Love the initial hit from the goldies, got smashed on a big Gulp on friday by this fella over near Mandorah jetty.
IMG_5141.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Pulled a few good ones locally lately the quality is definately getting better
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Its just time of year. they come around early. Wait till July and then we can say its better than other years if plenty are still around then. On another point the fishing charter boys are becoming fewer as well which is helping a lot in my view. Darwin reef and wrecks sold up so less harbour charters, Fish Darwin is hardly running and the rest are slower due to lack of money around. This in it self has relaxed the pressure immensely already. The government should lock the charter numbers as they are and the fishery in my view will only improve for the amatures and the remaining charter fleet.