landbased, you have to go heavy.

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

landbased, you have to go heavy.

Post by Plate Size »

I have been beaten by fishes 3 to 1 at least fishing next to pylons. its not that I target 2-kgs fishes, but they love my 10 pounds fc
home made sabikis. the terminal stay ok..but the main line get wrapped. it can be a 100 mono, 80 hybrid but once the fishes get around -pylons, all cause is gone. I love the challenge though :D . switching to heavy handlines, 50 fc leaders still and a 50/50 jig. that's light down the wharf. :lol:
even a 400 grams sweetlip can bust your heavy tackle once they get into/around pylons. no one has blogged, fishing wharves and jettys need be heavy. plus you need a drop gaff or a drop net too.
IMG_0149[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There is a strange feeling about land-based fishing that lures me back time after time.....by Jarrod Day @ fishingmonthly.com.au
Territory_Tuff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: landbased, you have to go heavy.

Post by Territory_Tuff »

yeah mate handlines are the way to go........ especially for the odd barra who run straight under.
nice homemade rigs by the way
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

ty Tuff. Im ditching all braids fishing rockies and pylons and also fishing with kids. braids cant handle barnacles, or pylons coated with baby oysters. braids get scuffed pretty quick and let go. with kids, braid are too sharp, a split second reaction could cut a kids fingers, watching them how they play and react to bites. I have to lift a kids hook up with gloves to land his fish ( to keep him keen) 30 pnds braid is still razor sharp. we learn from mistakes. I got 600 yards of dyneema braids coming 100 pounds, I may just twist it as a leader. :D
btw yo zuri hybrid ( mono_flouro hybrid) 40 pounds seems to hold better against pylons.
There is a strange feeling about land-based fishing that lures me back time after time.....by Jarrod Day @ fishingmonthly.com.au
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

updating the rig pics. thanks. :mrgreen: dang. first pic should be the second pic. I dunno. :banghead:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
franklinryan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by franklinryan »

Re they bread ties you used to hold the rigs together?... good thinking. I have otherwise been been placing each rig in a clip-seal bag. Nice idea.
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

yah franklinryan, those ties you get with freezer bags kits that we mostly throw away :). its just really to keep the lil spool tight and tangle free once you get it out the zip bag. being flouros, they seem to jump out the bags (in coils ), the ties helps to control it . fish are on frenzy, fingers shaking, that fixes that in a way :D
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

and btw, I reuse all that bags and ties. nothing is left behind at the fishing spot. if the session results to damaged rigs ( blunt hooks, kinked branch lines, frayed lines, etc. ) I just unsnapped and coil it back to the next empty bag available. most of the time, re rigging a branch line plus new hook, results in a new rig.
have you tried those 6 bucks a puff snapper rigs? or shark rigs? :lol: . or those sknelled 5 bucks rigs? they are for fairies fishing in fairyseas :D
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Informative. Good work platesize.
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

thanks for the appreciation @ Mud.
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

last weekend for example. this trevally with battle scars all over, shark bitten , 2 little hooks in its guts ( red 1/0 and maybe a bait jig # 10 hook rusted ) , got to drag em out the snaggy pylons , 80 pndsmono leader looks like an overcooked spaghetti :D . this one is ..was a fighter.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

So that's where my livey got to LOL
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

this one reminds me of kevin rudd. a stabbed mark at the back, 2 hooks rusted in the guts and still fighting..in the end he lost. :(
RharryR
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RharryR »

Territory_Tuff wrote:yeah mate handlines are the way to go........ especially for the odd barra who run straight under.
nice homemade rigs by the way
Yeah mate handlines are wonderful. Seen a couple of lads pull in metre barra on them using a hard bodied lure. Everybody uses them where I live and I just love the ease of them.
Cheers and good luck with the barra.
You gotta have the bad days to enjoy the good days :)