Bringing your boats paintjob back to life.

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Bringing your boats paintjob back to life.

Post by scottmac »

Seeing as I'm redoing the floor, getting a new console and (hopefully) upgrading the engine on my boat, I might as well give the hull a birthday too. What do you guys use to bring the shine back on a dull, faded paint Job?

I've been told CLR, but I'm a bit suss on that. I've used Jiff before and it brings it up ok. I haven't got access to a buffing wheel, so polish and waxing would be a bit of a mission.

What's your secrets and shortcuts? (I'm a bit lazy by nature, so I'm probably not going to like the answers! :bonk: )

dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Bringing your boats paintjob back to life.

Post by dannett »

Cheese cloth, cutting compound and a lot of hard work works too! On the car I have used Acetone to clean greasy marks off (white paint) but you want to test it out first discretely and then wax afterwards. It's kind of like dry cleaning for your car.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Give it a coat of allybrite. Just put it in a spray bottle and spray it on, wait a couple of minutes and hose it off. This will clean it properly. Then a light polish will bring it right up.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Cheers fellas. The Allybrite sounds a lot easier than the cheesecloth! :-)
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Yep Allybrite works well..........gets the red dirt out of the paint.
sharkbait
Seadog
Seadog

Post by sharkbait »

I used Nu Finish polish, came up really good but obviously a bit of elbow grease is required.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

scottmac wrote:Cheers fellas. The Allybrite sounds a lot easier than the cheesecloth! :-)
I never said it was going to be easy. Night have to try the Allybrite out myself.
darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by darwinguy »

Scottmac - Allybrite as above, mix as per the instructions, I use 1 part allybrite to 5 parts water (strong mix) spray on, wait a couple minutes, do small sections at a time - don't let the allybrite dry then hose off straight away (best done at night/very early morning) on cold alloy. Then use truck wash with a reasonably strong mix with water in a bucket. Use straight away with a broom on the wet alloy, then hose off before it dry's. I use this on road train trucks out at the mine and it works a treat. Cheapest place to buy allybrite is Maxiparts truck parts on Stuart highway Winnellie or Supercheap. You can get 1 litre bottles 5's and 20's. PM if any questions and I will help you out.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Any tips for a powdercoated hull?
Anon
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Anon »

I used a boat cleaner product from Harvey distributors and the alloy Came up like new, although when I took it out next the salt water made it look extremely crappy?

Anyone had this issue?
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Since we on the tropic of paint job....anyone know a ball park respray price for just the sides and top. Thinking refreshing my topender
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

SCOTTMAC, SHARKBAIT is on the ball. NU FINISH is the best product I have ever used, cars,boats, etc. Sure a bit of work but its not hard scrubbing just wipe on, buff off. A BRIILIANT SHINE and will bring the paint back to life. Water will bead for 12 months or more.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Had a go with the Allybrite today. Came up pretty good, but had to do a couple of applications. I made the second application a bit stronger (4/1). Just needs a polish now.

Before and after pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

You cant fish those muddy top end rivers now. It will get dirty :mrgreen:
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Don't worry mate, it's about a once in a decade job for me! :roll:
Thought I might as well do it while I've got the whole boat stripped out for a refirb. I might start a post covering the whole refirb. I'm desperately trying to scrape the pennys together so I can go to the boat show andbuy myself a 20 grand Father's Day present to go on the back. :mrgreen: