Sun = Sambos

Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Sun = Sambos

Post by Melv »

Managed to get (nearly) 2 days of sunshine so made the most of it and got out for another flick. Headed down to the mouth of the Forth river about 5k down the road after the local tackle store suggested they'd been getting a few down there on the run in. :bs: Pretty place to spend an hour or two but not enough push in the tide to get the clear water into the system which the salmon luv. Flogged that to foam for a couple of hours then headed back the breakwall on the Leven just in time for an hours flicking before the sun set. Not quite the hectic session i had the day before but picked up half a dozen nice fish - all of which went back. :fishy: They're a pretty fish fresh out of the water and great fun on light gear :catch: . Weather forecast is for :bs: all weekend but hey it's footy finals time so plenty of :drinking2: should fill in the time.

:cheers:
Melv
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Nice one Melv - we fished a river mouth during my Tassie holiday and we caught the same :mrgreen:

Great fun, in SA we called them "salmon trout".
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Yeah Matt - when they're on it can almost be a fish a cast and heaps of fun. Funny watching the expression on locals face as they pull in the odd one with their big eggbeaters 30lb line, double patenoster rigs and heavy sinkers while you haul em in one after the other using a more "finnese" approach. Even funnier is the look they give you when you unhook em and chuck em back! :rofl: They're slow learners down here but nice people all the same. Still, can't wait to get back home and get stuck into some build up Barra! :catch:

Melv
natural sparks
Seadog
Seadog

Post by natural sparks »

Gee they look like a cross between tailor and a herring in WA terms.

what ar they

they sure aint the sambo that ive been busted off by
When I grow up I can't wait to be a grown up...........
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

NS - As you can see below they are a juvenile Australian Salmon. Most Tasmanians refer to them as cocky salmon. They call them black backs when they get some size about them. Caught a nice black back this morning, biggest i've caught down here (@ 45cm) - you guessed it, the only day i haven't taken the camera with me :bonk:

Melv

Australian Salmon
Australian SalmonCommon names: black back, cocky salmon (juveniles), kahawai.

Size limit: 20cm

Possession limit: 15*

* Daily bag limits have been removed and replaced by a personal possession limit. Possession limits apply everywhere, including in the home.

Juveniles are silvery coloured with a number of brown spots on sides. Adults are darker across back with fading of spots. Pectoral fins are yellow.

Australian salmon mature at 4 years when they are around 40cm long. They can grow to 90cm in length and over 4kg in weight, on reaching this size they are around 10 years old.

Large (60-90cm) adult Australian salmon are rarely caught in Tasmanian waters.

Most often caught by anglers fishing in river mouths or off beaches where the fish can form large schools. It is common to observe schools breaking the surface waters as they feed on krill and small baitfish.

Most commonly caught when fishing with lures, flies or baits.

A good fighting fish with improved eating qualities if killed and bled directly after capture.

Most Australian salmon caught in Tasmanian waters are juveniles which tend to move away from Tasmania when reaching maturity. Spawning occurs in Victorian and NSW coastal waters.

A second closely related species, the West Australian salmon, is occasionally caught in Tasmania, primarily as small juveniles. West Australian salmon also move out of Tasmanian waters as they mature, with spawning occurring off South Australia and Western Australia. By comparison with East Australian salmon, West Australian salmon grow larger with adult fish averaging 8kg found off Western Australia.
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Pleased to say the sun was shining again this morning here in Tassie so I did the right thing and went for a fish :grin: After a couple of slow days the Salmon really turned it on today with over 30 fish for the morning all of which were returned to do what fishes do :fishy: . Some nice size fish amongst them too, getting up to @ 45cm. At that size and in a bit of current they can make the little reel sing. Unfortunately only got 2 more days of hols left :-( so got the fingers crossed for a bit more Springtime sunshine to finish off with. Hopefully the Barra will be as co operative when i get home
:mrgreen:

Melv
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Just the right size livies for Barra Lollies :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
See Ya Thursday :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water

Return to “Tas”