My First Deep Sea Southern Fish

Finatic2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

My First Deep Sea Southern Fish

Post by Finatic2 »

Howdy FFFers.
A recent trip south to the Apple Isle to visit the Outlaws had me in a position to drop a line with a mate. We were to head out on the Sat after Easter but the weather was absolute shite so it got postponed until the Monday, awoke to crystal clear skies and ultra blue water. For those who have never been to Tassie the water is not like anything you have ever seen before, Gin clear it almost makes you want to go for a swim. ( I did say ALMOST)
We launched at Pirates Bay near Eagle Hawk Neck a place renown for good tuna fishing and trolled for a couple of hours for zip before deciding to bottom bash.
We settled in a shallow spot of only around 65m and were instantly rewarded with the equivalent of a whiskered barra, a spikey little number called a Gurnard.
I was lucky enough to get a triple header, and after my mate finished laughing at me then proceeded to tell me that I needed to keep my line off the bottom.
From then on it was all roses with a couple of Stripey Trumpeter to 65cm, some sort of Sea Perch a couple of Flathead and a Leather Jacket,
We finished the day about 100m from the boat ramp with 4 good squid the biggest had a tube length of 35cm. All in all a great day out.
It was some of the deepest water I had ever fished in, trolling only 3-5 km from the cliffs saw us in 120m of water.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fish stories told here....some true !!!

When in doubt...exaggerate !!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: My First Deep Sea Southern Fish

Post by Matt Flynn »

Keep hearing about Eaglehawk Neck, have to get a bigger boat and get over there.

I see you found the gurnard carpet :)

If they could market those gurnards like crays, Tassie would be rich.
Finatic2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Finatic2 »

Matt Flynn wrote:Keep hearing about Eaglehawk Neck, have to get a bigger boat and get over there.

I see you found the gurnard carpet :)

If they could market those gurnards like crays, Tassie would be rich.

We were in a 6.1 Bar crusher, but I reckon you could have gone out in anything the day we were there, I have been told that it can get super nasty very quickly though
Fish stories told here....some true !!!

When in doubt...exaggerate !!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yep, gotta pick the windows. And have a half cabin. Preferably one with a wood fired pizza oven.

Warm here today tho ...
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Spectacular!
tikety
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tikety »

Recent results from a trip off Portland, albacore on the troll, blue eye and gem fish bottom bouncing from approx 550mts, using electric reels for the bottom fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Very nice. They reckon those striped trumpeter are pretty flash on the plate