KI Crays

max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

KI Crays

Post by max »

Went out for the day on a mates 60 ft ferro cray boat last week while on King Island the whinging buggers are worse than farmers 4 hrs on the water 84 crays later and he reckons they are struggling we would have chucked back as many undersized ones and they get 40 bucks a kg for them (legal Ones) I scored a good feed as they cant sell the ones the occys have atacked mostly a few legs missing.

George
Seadog
Seadog

Post by George »

Spent christmas last at king island....................talk about a happening place!
It was definatly relaxing, as there was FA to do there. Did however enjoy it there as it gave me a chance to unplugg and spend some time with the family.
Good Flathead fishing there to be had I hear though.
They make a good quid on the crays too, got a couple for chrissy dinner and even bying them from the boats still cost us over fifty buck ea.

Cheers
Custom Plate Boats
Boat modifications
Trailer and repairs

http://www.fishingterritory.com
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Gday George,yes it is a very relaxing place lots to see and do if you are keen on diving ,surfing ,beach fishing it certaily helps to have contacts there though we went out drifting for flatties and got half a dozen nice ones plus a gummy shark which are great tucker I noticed on the sounder that the water temp. was 17 degrees there an to think we used to dive without wetsuits for years poor silly buggers I guess its what you grow up with.They also have one of the most spectacular golf courses there but the club is struggling a bit as the population has dropped quite dramatically since the closure of the Scheelite mine there so there are 2 clubs and a pub all chasing the few drinkers and all up the population is only about 1600.
shauno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by shauno »

I ate Cray at Easter time when I was in Tassie. Great tucker better than Muddies I reckon and a little less messier. Don't know what others thoughts on that are. My cousin who dives for them down the East coast was telling me how only recently he had a 4m White Pointer cruise past him when he was in only about 18 feet of water. Once it disappeared he shot to the surface only to see his dinghy 25metres away. A long swim that one he said.
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

One of the mates on KI who is an abalone diver had his dive bag crunched a month ago by a white which he had seen circling he sat on the bottom with his back to a rock and let this thing have a chomp on his bag then it left so did he but it is very rare to see them there although things may change with the water temp. climbing we never used to catch snapper there when I lived there now they are starting to get them even reports of them taken off the beach near broken ground.
shauno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by shauno »

Hi Max, seeing a White Pointer when diving would scare the cr.p out of me probably even more than forgetting my missus birthday. The North East and North West of Tassie are fast becoming a top class Snapper fishery with top class fish being taken regularly. We even caught one at Burnie a place renowned for the rubbish they used to pump into the ocean when the Pulp mill was in full swing.