Note to all users

Make suggestions to improve this site
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Note to all users

Post by Matt Flynn »

Please try to refrain from using PMs to ask secret questions of people about their fishing spots, and also not use PMs to send private reports unless there is a good reason.

The point of the forum is that we benefit from and enjoy each other's reports and ramblings. It is unfair and diminishes the forum if only a few people are publicly posting the facts.

I realise there will be some things members will rightly want to keep quiet, but please first consider carefully if it is really necessary.

We all know there are big barra at Manton Dam, Marsh Creek, the Daly River feeder creeks etc, and mangrove jacks in Middle Arm etc, and most of us know roughly where and when the fish bite.

By the time any report is published here the fish have probably moved on or stopped biting.

If you have your own secret billabong or hunting spot, fair enough, keep it secret.

But the whole concept of FISH FINDER TM is to share most information and make fishing more enjoyable.
Last edited by Matt Flynn on Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Badcock
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Badcock »

Well said Matt :applause: :applause: :applause: Im only new to this forum stuff and been reading every nite and yes i have noticed the clicky group of members. But im only new . Top site, see you on the water.
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

members

Post by dodgyone »

We were all new here once mate. Meet a few guys, participate in some chat or a few posts and you will fit right in. :cheers:

Just watch out for 2rods and his red. :grin:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
Badcock
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Badcock »

Yeh i no were you are coming from Dodgy :mrgreen: I wasent being rude the other nite when you guys were sayin hi, my screen didnt have the space to write any text. Red is allways good. When the going gets tough just get on the red
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

I don't know if I would say we are clicky :???: Just a few of us now know each other thats all. As Dodgy said post a few reports and get right into the forum side of things and you will soon be chatting away like the rest of us. :mrgreen:

Oh and drinking red wine as well :cheers: :catch:

I do wonder why so many people look at the site, glean info from it yet don't bother to put anything on it.....Makes me think that people should have to register before being able to see all of the posts!
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

That's true 2rods - many people are looking at the forums and not becoming involved.

I'm not sure exactly why - I think some people are shy or unsure about using computers and online forums, but no doubt a few are here to use the posted info and not provide any in return.

I don't want to rant (OK, maybe I do) but I think sometimes the secrecy thing goes way too far.

I really enjoy reading the posts about people's fishing trips - I don't instantly think about going out and hitting their spot and catching all their fish.

Also, now we have FFF stickers on our boats, we can tie up next to each other and have a laugh and share a spot, and throw pilchards at any non-FFF boats that come too close. :grin:
Chronic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Chronic »

Someone once said "the next best thing to fishing is talking about it"

This site rocks 8-) for a good yarn and if all the users participated it could only get better!!
Certainly no need to be shy-no perfect people here...
and this is better than any fishing mag ive ever bought :grin: :grin:
Keep it rollin fellas :cheers:
Go the live-baiters!

Beer will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beer...
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

Well said.
I love reading reports! I don't mind if people aren't giving exact locations,but it's good to know what method,stage of tide,etc. Some spots there is room for one or two boats only but,so I can understand if people are a little secretive about exact locations.
landlocked
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by landlocked »

matt just a suggestion but i have noticed on a few forums that you cant access fishing reports unless you are a member and logged in.
maybe worth thinking about. cheers
From the heart of the channel country.
To be old and wise, one has to have been young and stupid !!!
Kevin Kevinson
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Kevin Kevinson »

I agree matt...sharing is caring :grin:

but having said that, there are grounds for secrecy, or at least, discretion.

Personally, I dont mind telling anyone where, when or how I went fishing, but I dont like to pass on someone elses 'secret spot' they have taken me to...thats a pretty sure fire way to never getting invited again :banghead:
Cheers

KK (aka Hilly)

and then you nod your head like your saying YES to every beat...
(Homer J Simpson on listening to rock music)
Sconik
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Sconik »

Absolutely KK . . . . well said. :mrgreen:

It is this information provided by people like yourself and many others, that have enabled newcomers (myself included) to find their feet. I know first hand that initially, from an anglers perspective, Darwin and surrounds can be a very daunting prospect. It's not easy to find a starting point in such a vast range of habitats, without a bit of a nudge in the right direction. What may seem like insignificant, trivial information to a local but can make the world of difference to the untrained eye.

I am truly grateful to those who have pointed me in the right direction. :bow:

:cheers:
Scotty
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

Absolutely Sconik!
I agree with you too Kev, if it's someone else's secret spot you shouldn't share. However, if you are going to PM it then don't mention it on the forum.........we'll get jealous :wink: .

In the brief time I've been on here I've picked up lots of great advice and tips, and compared to other forums there is a real sense of comaraderie and support with a bit of a joke on the side.

I reckon it's because it's well run and moderated but more importantly everyone seems genuinely keen to help.
Keep up the great work everyone :cheers:
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

2rods wrote: I do wonder why so many people look at the site, glean info from it yet don't bother to put anything on it.....Makes me think that people should have to register before being able to see all of the posts!
Yes 2rods I agree :evil: Just before the floods came I was followed up the river by a well known fishing identity who openly said that a mate (who comes on as a guest and is a guide :| ) has read reports on here and past info on about a grey poly boat catchin fish on the river :catch: I might wait until the runoff is over before posting so I don't get stalked on the rivers :lipsrsealed:

BEAR
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

I might wait until the runoff is over before posting
I hear what you're sayin' Bear. If the "spies" don't join up and hop on the bandwagon with us it just may well come to that, for everyone's sake I hope it doesn't.

There a few sites around that only members can access.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

not sure what sparked this debate but i agree we should all share, but lately it seems like there is only a few of posting actual fishing info, maybe there is only a few of us fishing?? :banghead: but even if we are not fishing we can still add to this forum (back-cast spot of the day is a classic example :applause: ). be prepared to share what you know before others will throw info at you. i dont think we are a "clicky" group its just seems to be that the same bunch of blokes turn up to all the FFF events that everyone is invited too :( . so come along to these events, put up some posts and soon you will be "clicky" too :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

oh yeah and BEAR dont stop putting up post i love you work :bow: just start letting off warning shoots to those who are stalking you :hunting: :hunting: :hunting:

:cheers: harmsey