Question for southerners

No barramundi here. Just snapper, whiting, samson, kingies, tuna ...

A question for southerners now living in Darwin: Do you miss any aspects of southern fishing?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 35

chanos
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Trout

Post by chanos »

Yeayh must agree there, trout fishing is great in that you usually have wonderful scenery to go with it albeit where I first did it was SA which is pretty desolate where we were.

chanos.

Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is far more serious than that.
Jay Burgess
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jay Burgess »

Never lived down south but there are aspects of southern fishing that I wanna try... like Jigging for sambos out from Rotto, perth, WA ;)
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Been here for over half my life now, but I gotta admit I do miss my trips to Snowy Mountains, especially Anglers Reach.
One of my dreams is to start up a houseboat business on Lake Eucumbene, but my missus, being a Scot and hating the cold, tells me to keep dreamin'...........
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

Blinky wrote:Been here for over half my life now, but I gotta admit I do miss my trips to Snowy Mountains, especially Anglers Reach.
One of my dreams is to start up a houseboat business on Lake Eucumbene, but my missus, being a Scot and hating the cold, tells me to keep dreamin'...........
Great place Blinky. We used to stay there for a week every febuary as I was growing up. Thats where Dad taught me to fly fish. We always went well out at seven gates,never failed that area.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Too right Jonesy, it is a beautiful part of the world. Hard to beat throwing mudeye patterns around the Providence Flats, nymphing glowbugs up the Eucumbene River or dropping a big night fly down into the Suicide Hole.

Brings back a lot of memories!

Completely different type of fishing to Barra fishing, can't even think about comparing the two.

I see you can't get a waterfrontage block down around that way for less than a mill $$$ these days. Makes me wish I'd bought up 20 years ago.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
PeterT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by PeterT »

Like mudskipper, I miss spinning trout in mountain steams and my fav is the black celta.
I miss seeing mountains - real mountains, some with snow;
I miss trolling trout on mountain lakes so cold the water drops along your line freeze;
I miss catching yellow belly and cod in the Murray, incidentally it was hard to catch a cod in the Murray 30 years ago, and impossible to catch a yella. But both are easy now due to stocking programs.
I miss casting for monster 20lb flatties at Mallacoota
I miss prawning with a prawn light and scoop net without beeing eaten by a giant lizard.
I miss sambar deer hunting in the mountains, only 1 hour from home.
I miss whistling up foxes and shooting piles of rabbits in an arvo after work.

But there are some great things up here. Last week I stood on the bank and cast at a snag in a remote creek in East Arhnemland and lost count of the Barra I caught - none below legal size. Same for pesky 2kg Jacks which were the bicatch.

Hunted for turtle eggs on an endless beach on the gulf and had them for supper with muddies pulled from the rock crevises with the wire handle of a flour tin.

Shot a young wild bull and dined on ribs roasted on the ashes and fillet steak, Jacks, barra, muddies and damper. (Fed a whole bunch of community people who have no guns to get such tucker).

Slept in 1 million star accomodation on the beach. Roll out of the swag and shoot a wild boar hunting turtle eggs down the beach.

And I get money for doing this as well?

I just love topend.

pete
flicker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

job

Post by flicker »

Peter, who do you work for because I want to work there too!
you don't know if you don't give it a go
Backlash
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Backlash »

I miss the trout fishing at Eucumbene...........dont really miss those - 10 degrees nights standing waste deep in water throwing the fly rod around.But when you hook an 8 kilo brown trout you soon forget how cold it is. Also miss my southern snapper fishing of he east gippland coast. But know it's a new ballgame..............and wow I got some learning to do.

Cheers
Lash
Sconik
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Sconik »

I'm moving to Darwin in about 6 weeks but am certain that I'll miss rock hoppin' on the NSW central coast,
Doing battle with 15kg+ Turquoise tanks (AKA - Blue groper),
Arm-stretching kingies in Sydney Harbour,
and the Spring run of big bronze-backed spawning blackfish.

Pretty certain I'll get over it though. :grin:

Definitely will not miss winter!!

Scotty
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

...........fishing the gutters along the beaches of the gold coast & sunshine coast, :angel: not so much the fishing, but definately the bikini clad babes walking by, that's really hard to take,really it's the only reason to go fishing down here for my money......... :sailing:

...............................................................................................................................

:fishy: :fishing: :fishy: :fishing: :fishy: :fishing: :fishy: :fishing: :fishy: :fishy: :fishing: :fishy: :fishing: :fishy: :fishing: :fishy: :fishing: :fishy: :fishing: :fishy: :fishing: :fishy: :fishing: :fishy: :fishing: :fishy: :fishing: :fishy: :fishing: :fishy: :fishing: :fishy: :fishing:
Chronic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Chronic »

I only miss the abalone on tap on the rocks along the Great Ocean Road...
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Go the live-baiters!

Beer will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beer...
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

One thing I remember fondly of Brisbane was the diver whiting run - they are only small fish but very common and fishing for them with dad was fun. We would pull them in one after and another, and occasionally a grey or spotted mackerel would come in and take the pilchard out the back. In summer we caught sand whiting along the foreshores and occasionally flathead.

But too many Powertail and too much pollution put me off Brisbane. The last time I went to the Pinkenba rock wall at the river mouth it looked like a rubbish tip. And I reckon the bream would have stuck to a magnet :lol:
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

I miss surf fishing for mulloway- barra more than make up for it.I miss catching 4kg salmon mid winter- big queenies more than make up for it and i miss southern crays- nothing comes close.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Gees is there anyone on the forum that isn’t from the deep south?

Yeah I miss the crackle of the ice when you walk into the water’s edge flicking flies for trout in the highland lakes of Tassie.
Or having to shovel snow out of the boat before you can launch it
I miss the 100mph winds when it blows up and the numbness in your entire body !

A couple of years ago, I vowed to myself to never be cold again – works pretty good so far.

I do miss the fantastic scenery in some of the streams and lakes. A few years ago I was fishing on Lake Burbury Tassie – it was 32 degrees but the mountains surrounding the lake were covered in snow from the day before.
bl..dy magic.
mac10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by mac10 »

I miss getting smoked by big snapper on 8 kg spin gear in shallow water. Just had 2 weeks down near Yamba, biggest was 7.4kg in 6 metres of water! It was that cold though, glad to get back up here and sweat it out!

Also miss having a bit of real swell, nothing gets the heart going more than crossing a breaking bar in the pitch black or fishing on a bommie and not knowing if the wave will break!!
Chris