Brazilian Monsters !!

Welcome to international visitors. And local members, tell us about your fishing holiday ...
Silver Sovereign
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Brazilian Monsters !!

Post by Silver Sovereign »

Here are a few shots I posted for a guy I work with in Angola, His name is Konrad Ritter and he comes from Brazil.

This is an paragraph from Konrads email to me describing the fish he catches at home.

"The big fish is called Pirarara and was over 40KG, the second picture is one small peacock bass and the third baby Pirarara."

They use baitcasters with monfillament line.

They will use small ( not sure what is small for him because the so called baby one is huge ! ) Pirarara for live bait to catch the monsters, he says they get much bigger than the 40kg one he caught. It took him an hour and a half to get the big one in, they started when there was light and finnished in the dark. 8-)

Pretty cool looking fish - talk about a power tail !!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If I had a quirky signature it would be here !
Simmo12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo12 »

SS they eat that thing?
Silver Sovereign
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Silver Sovereign »

Yep they eat them, they are a common catch in small sizes, apparently they do not taste muddy and it is white firm flesh...Konrad says he tend to catch and release which is common where he fishes. They are caught in deep water where thre is alot of timber and holes on the bottom. Once hooked they will scramble for the structure and break the line.

So that is why he is smiling so much to get a big one to the surface !
If I had a quirky signature it would be here !
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

Hi SS, I have seen video's of yanks that wade out, find the holes, and pull them out by hand. Can you imagine getting spiked by one of them :bow:
muntzy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by muntzy »

G'day Silver Sovereign,
Those Pirararas are wild lookin things. Any idea where abouts in Brazil mate I'm guessing the Amazon? I am heading over to a wedding in Brazil for three and a half weeks in Feb next year hoping to tie in a fishing trip whilst there. Would love to get into the Peacock Bass. Reckon it would be a bit of fun!! :mrgreen:
Cheers Muntzy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend,
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

where do you book,we can only dream about getting PTs like that :grin:
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

The Daly river has monster PT's, old man did the 'big tag' in 84 for fisheries and they got some bucket head models in the nets, might ask him to dig up the pics.
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

There was a show on Discovery a week or so ago called "Megafish of the Amazon", it had monster powertails, Snakehead and the odd Pecock Bass on it. A good flick. I think it may have mentioned guides.
I recorded it, anyone who wants a copy drop me a PM.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Check out my post in the asian section of the international forum. You can catch some monster PTs in Thailand, and they pull like freight trains! :catch: Not the prettiest fish goin' round though! :roll:
4x4xfar
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 4x4xfar »

The p o w e r t a i l they call "Pirarara" is known as the Red-Tailed p o w e r t a i l in most western countries.
You can get them in the Aquarium Trade.