smoky bay kingfish

flicker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

smoky bay kingfish

Post by flicker »

got some pics sent to me from a mate who has spent the last few days over in smoky Bay SA chasing big kingies and he managed to score a ripper at 45.5 kg.
they were trolling live squid behind his new fangled electric downrigger that in conjunction with the sounder can track the bottom and wind up or down to stay however far of the bottom that you choose.
They put in a lot of hours but got a trophy fish and another big bustoff to keep them keen for another trip.
He's a big bloke at about 6'3'' 6'4'' to give an idea of its size.

Cheers Flicker
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

you don't know if you don't give it a go
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

That's a ripper. Used to fish for kingies in SA off Rapid Bay jetty, never had much luck. If you were lucky enough to get one to take a bait they just slammed you under the jetty.

So instead you caught stingrays and gummy sharks, and a zillion tommies :mrgreen:

Apparently kingies were prolific off SA last century but were fished out.
Making a bit of a comeback now.
meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

Whooaahhhhhh!!!! man that is a monster kingie brudda, old mate has done real well :mrgreen: , i always get promised one when i go see family friends down that way, buggers still havent put me onto one.
Image Image
John Whitegoods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by John Whitegoods »

they are awesome awesome fish and that is a ripper. 8-)

used to do a bit of fishing off rapid bay jetty as a young tacker with the old man. drop down some maggots on a hook and up comes a tommie rough easiest fishing ever. anyway was once having an 'epic' battle with a larger tommie when a kingy came up from under him to have a go - being a young lad my first thought was 'thats my tommie not yours!' and i reefed the hooked fish out of the water just in the nick of time (luckiliy as i was definiatley not rigged up to go toe to toe with the kingy !) an older guys standing next to me saw the whole thing and his eyes almost popped out of his head - that was it for him he was chasing that kingy for the rest of the day - with no luck !
Cheers,

JohnWhitegoods AKA Dave

Drugs are not the answer, unless the question is what is not the answer
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Awesome fish. Thats about as good as it gets for kings. :bow:
Daisy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Daisy »

Wooohooo 8-) , hundred pounder straight to the top of the Kingy class :clap:
Happiness is having fishy fingers with a stiff rod in your hand!!!
The view expressed in this post is that of a self opinionated bullshitter and does not reflect that of the website owner, it's operators or anyone else for that matter.
bigglen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bigglen »

yeh being born an bread in SA you get the urge to go in search of some big powerful fish an the kingy sure is one of them abont 4 year ago the farmed kings from port lincon some how ended up with a hole in the side of the net an estimated 20,000 kings escaped most jettys on the yorke an eyre peninsulas were riddled with rat kings to about 6 or 7kg an an early morning session for an hour or 2 would see a dozen or so fish landed on soft plastic jigs if you werent holdin on tight say good bye to your rod an reel an ifyour plastic ventured any thing more than 8ft down kiss that good bye too they would have to be one of the dirtyest fighting fish in the sea but you have to love every second connected to a big king :cheers: :cheers: