River Murray VERY low

jordan doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

River Murray VERY low

Post by jordan doevy »

heres a couple of pictures taken recently at Lock 7 which is on the river murray above Renmark. There is never a huge amount of water running over this particular weir but as you can see from the photos there is almost none - very big concern for everyone.
The first photo looking back toward the lock and Weir shows a big sandbar - this is normally underwater and used to be a good place to catch a perch or a redfin - we also caught many fish tying up to the yellow bouys and casting shrimp baits up towards the weir into the foaming water - now you could just about walk across the entire way.
You can see the banks in the second photo - the normal water level is up at the base of the trees and the clay bank.
Sad situation whihc is going to turn into a disaster for a lo of people if they dont get lots and lots of serious rain soon.

Cheers
Shane
:cheers: :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

schools what i do in between fishing ;)
flicker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

murray

Post by flicker »

Holy s--t Shane that sand wouldn't have seen daylight for many years decades even.
Was talking to a mate from Mildura the other day and he said it was just flowing there but is virtually all used before it gets to where these pics are and you just verified that. It certainly is a very serious situation in the towns and irrigation areas along the murray that depend solely on the river for their livelyhood. My mate is a pretty big friut/wine grower and he is worried what will happen if no rain comes, even looking at other employment options away from there.
In most of these towns no agriculture means no town.
Lots of rain dances needed.

We've definatly got it good up here!

Flicker :mrgreen:
you don't know if you don't give it a go
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Holy snappin' duck shite, it amazing how much water that isn't there :shock: :shock: Big worry for the Southerners alright!

As is Eucumbene....an old stomping ground of mine when I was a whipper snapper. It's a sight to make you cry. In nearly 40 years of fishing this beautiful lake I have never seen it in such a sad, sad state. The only thing you get from this, is a map of the old river bed :bonk: But it's a sad way to get it for sure.

Check this string from another forum http://www.harro.com.au/cgi-bin/chat/Ya ... 1177932603
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Thing is they put these wonderful things into the river so the river wouldnt run dry any more - guess theres not much you can do if it doesnt rain but believe me it is a MAJOR concern for all irrigators down there!!

Shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

It is sad. Seen some pics of small mountain streams near home,bone dry,completly. The already diminishing trout fishery is in serious trouble. I guess it will make a come back if they get a couple of good years. The only positive for the lakes that are almost dry is the vegetation growing throughout the dry lake beds. When they do fill up again you get an explosion of primary productivity.

Here's some of the Vic lakes.Eildon 6%,Dartmouth 12%!!!! Once the Dart runs out there isn't much left to give the Murray then.
http://www.fishvictoria.com/pnews/water_levels.php