Best spot for fishing on the river murray

Learner

Best spot for fishing on the river murray

Post by Learner »

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forums and am from Adelaide.
I am new to fishing as well and looking for a good spot to fish on the murray river that doesn't require a boat.
Anything within a couple hours drive of Adelaide would be good but heading out to Renmark end of Feb :)

Thank you
:fishing: :catch:

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Best spot for fishing on the river murray

Post by Matt Flynn »

Member on here called 'Shane Doevy' who has fished it a bit, and others, I'll send him a PM, he may share some info.
Learner

Post by Learner »

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the prompt reply. Appreciate it. Looking forward to the tips :)
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Lerarner - wlecome mate hopefully I can give you some ideas.

Not much help to you with regards land based spots within two hours of Adelaide but if you were to head to Murray Bridge you can finds loads of spots along the river to try for a fish. We used to use small hooks and the smallest sinkers we could as a rule. best boats are tiger worms and fresh shrimps or yabbies. As I say not familiar with the river around Murray Bridge but look for one of the tackle stores there and they should be able to point you to a likely spot. Shrimps can be caught in any of the normal traps usually night or day but sometimes they do get hard to get and when that happens they are best fished for at night. Thread a worm or two onto your hook then the shrimp - cast out and see what happens - likely catch is carp, possibly golden perch or yellow belly, silver perch - think they are still protected and last time I was on the river the eel tailed Powertail was around in numbers.

As to land based spots around Renmark there are plenty - a good spot if the sand bars immediately below Lock 5 - once again worms and shrimps are great bait - depending on the height of the river this spot can be very productive - i will try to do you up bit of a mud map so you can find it - not terribly hard - once again go can into one of the tackle stores in town and they will point you int he right direction. If your fishing from a boat tie up to any of the snags, drop straight down into the snag with live shrimps on and if the yellow belly are there and feeding you won't have long to wait. If its a bit slow don't be afraid to lift your boat up and own as the yellow belly sometimes love moving bait - they can be finicky but if you feel a tap on the your line its likely a yellow belly. Some times they prefer the still bait so its a matter of working them out - any snag is worth look cos it may be a real tangle underwater and not being showing much above water - these are sometimes the best spots to fish as people drive straight past them. there used to be lots of willows on the river and these held a lot of fish but it was sometimes difficult to get them out when you caught them.

If you have any questions post em up and ill try to answer them for you - the river Murray is an awesome place to explore - relaxing and doesn't have any bite creatures in it like the water up here in Darwin does - fishing can be awesome if you find the fish - as with anywhere - and you don't have to worry about bites and the tides.. When the river is in flood and is dropping go chase the yabbies as these bad boys are great to eat.

there are fishos in Renmark fishing more with lures these days - was unheard of when i was up there but some guys do really well so if you are a lure devotee you might give them a go - cast to any snag and see how you go

Cheers

Shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
Alice Pufferfisher
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Alice Pufferfisher »

In new too! :D