Worst idea.....the Edsel, the Holocaust, the Baitcaster?

Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Worst idea.....the Edsel, the Holocaust, the Baitcaster?

Post by Mud »

I mean seriously.

I know people who brag about their skills at unpicking baitcasters. WTF?

Nearly every baitcaster is made with a fixed right hand wind meaning that every single cast you have to swap the rod to your other hand. WTF?

They look dumb! They sit on top of the rod so the whole fishing trip is a ridiculous balancing act! WTF!

Contrary to popular belief they have the casting accuracy of a drunk carpet bomb. WTF!

For christ sake they are cr.p! Consign them to the tried and failed basket! Its okay. You were young. You made a mistake. We all do. But its time to admit it. Us spinner fishermen have been polite about this for way too long! Its time to let go overhead die-hards! I know its hard but you have to accept that its just never going to work. A good counseller can help.

Its time to move on.....

...to a spinning reel.

Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Worst idea.....the Edsel, the Holocaust, the Baitcaster?

Post by Dick »

You’re right they are an anachronism in the same way Ruby Union is to Rugby League, horse to chopper and old kelpie to new one. But we love our heritage and we forgive its awkwardness in this new world because we can.

Is not thumb burn pleasing to ponder??

Are not backlashes a lesson in patience??
Regards Dick
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Yeah they were the first type reels to be used in ancient times and are past their used by date
You compare a quality thread line to the same priced center pin and in my opinion the thread line will out perform
I put a quality thread line in the hands of a total novice who landed a 101 big bitch of the barrage in flood waters on line 3kg line that had been on that reel for 4 years and wonder if he could have repeated that effort on an overhead
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

The outfit used was a Shakespear Catera 3kg
Here's the fish,this bloke is 6' 4"
barra 8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Mud Mud Mud :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: you have lost your way grasshopper :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Next trip out I'll learn ya up with a Revo lefty and a firm hand :bbad: :drinking2: :bbad: :drinking2:
A good counseller can help
Give ya self a good talkin toooooooooo aswell :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Eggbeaters and accuracy don't belong in the same sentance, for me anyway :bonk: :bonk:
:drinking1: :drinking1:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Brent Matthews »

Bahh, Fooey.

Baitcasters rock.

Spins sticks are for limp wristed sunday fishermen
Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
wally gator
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by wally gator »

eggy,s are for those with poor hand eye cordination HAHA
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

Nothing wrong with a baitcaster Mud.

If it aint broke, why fix it. If it is broke, then yes you are allowed to give up and go play with those bl..dy egg beaters.
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

Mud,
being a traditional artisan in the piscatorial pursuits (read BS!), though not a luddite, I have embraced the modern spinning reel with gusto. Owning a few Daiwa Certates, casting 60mm soft plastics on resin heads (when nothing else will work) for nice salty Barra are experiences that just enhances my love for the spinning reel.

However, I do love my baitcasters. After fishing almost all spin reels over the last 10 years, up until about 18 months ago, I thought it befitting that I should review my inherit mistrust of Baitcasters, light weights and gusty head winds. In doing so I discovered that man has come a long way from my old Abu 6500 and 20lb mono. The TD Zillion Type R's are a magical reel that are my go to casting reel (even over a light spin stick). I have also discovered (after a couple of sore wrists - yes, I know, too much limp wristed spin reel action) that being a troll mole is much more comfortable with a baitcaster than a spinning outfit.

I have spoken to my counsellor and they suggested that my fishing lifestyle has now entered that of the "TIGER" level. She said that when I first started fishing, it was that of a sheltered young man of a traditional upbringing - the Baitcaster, the "PUBERTY" level. She then said that as I became more experienced in the arts of tempting fish smelling creatures - I had entered the "MARRIAGE" level, I had found something new in the Spin reel, less demanding in the emotional, time and maintenance stakes and I wanted to be with it forever. After a further counselling session I opened up about my love for multiple reels, types and brands. She asked how I felt about it, I told her at first I felt guilty about ignoring my old type, then I told her I enjoyed the new type, but I stilll thought I could only have one. I then told her that I now use them all, enjoy them all whenever I want and I frigging love it and don't care what people think. She then said that I had entered the "TIGER" level. I asked her what she meant, she told it was called the "TIGER" Level after "TIGER WOODS" - you CAN have them all and be happy. I now no longer need counselling.

Doors Off
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

what was bad about the holocaust?
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Even though I am geting so much support from the spin fishermen here I feel it necessary to address the one or two naysayers who still think baitcasters/overheads have anything to offer other than being a good weight for the berley cage.
we forgive its awkwardness in this new world because we can.
And we forgive overhead users not because we can but because we feel sorry for them
Is not thumb burn pleasing to ponder??
Um...*Mud tries to recall when it was he last had a fish on big enough to cause thumb burn..*
1 meter barra of the barrage in flood waters on line 3kg line
OMG Shaggs! Thats incredible! A six foot four Asian lad!
Give ya self a good talkin toooooooooo aswell
*sigh* judging by the support I'm getting for this post Ernie I may the only option I have for someone to talk to lol!!
Bahh, Fooey.

Baitcasters rock.

Spins sticks are for limp wristed sunday fishermen
sorry to take so long to reply Brent...had to rest the wrist.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that baitcasters cloud the judgement so that people say things like "Bahh, Fooey"
Now if you'll scus me I have to change this sundays fishing trip to monday...
eggy,s are for those with poor hand eye cordination
Wally, Have you ever met a fisherman who would not jab his/her hand five times on dorsal spines and get frostbite before giving up on fishing around the esky for the last hidden can of beer from the carton? Then find it and drink it without wiping the slime off it? Fishermen have no interest in hand eye coordination... :D
Nothing wrong with a baitcaster Mud
No Turtle youre right. Nothing at all. Nothing wrong with a baitcaster....
CEPT THAT ITS A STOOPID BAITCASTER!!!!
you CAN have them all and be happy
Ha ha ha top reply DO! Just make sure you practice safe fishing...ie dont use two at the same time, keep a good brand of lubricant handy and dont use old rubbers.

Well so far the supporters of "Winch Fishing" (the bait casters) have offered little to support the continuation of their 80's obsession. It seems clear to me that this discussion has highlighted the superiority of the spinning reel. Even in terms of casting accuracy........or does someone think they could cast a baitcaster more accurately than any of the spinner boys (the ones who appear to be hiding right this minute but will no doubt rise to a casting challenge...)

what was bad about the holocaust?
BB.......you never disappoint...... ( :applause: )
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
ravstr
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ravstr »

The only reason i own a spin real is for casting big distance in the blue water, also great for bottom bashing as it can release line quicker. People that use bait-casters don't seem to give a poop for spin reels. Why do u spinners want to convert us so bad. PLEASE DO US A FAVOUR AND TAKE UR BREAM GEAR BACK SOUTH!!!
jtf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jtf »

I wonder why they don't use eggbeaters when chasing Marlin...hmmm... :drinking2:
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

I used to use spinning reels when I was a lad- but Im a big boy now.....
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Quote from Sheeby- Formally known as Spin Man to some- Your right Seano it is easier to work lures with a baitcaster! 2 days with a baitcaster and hes converted.