Baitcaster spool bearings

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Baitcaster spool bearings

Post by ronje »

I got a .5mm sheet of carbontex after reading that .5mm is suitable for the majority of baitcaster drag washers.

Just pulled the reel to bits and used the old washers as templates. Cut them to size and shape with a hobby-craft scalpel.

Bob's your uncle with the Daiwa HRF. Sure fixed it.

Next was the Curado 200E.

Bugger. Its one that uses 1mm washers so had to order a sheet of 1mm.

WRT the high speed bearings for the Sculptor, I've measured the ones I need for the spool and will talk to Hedgehog or BOCA. The Scultpor is brand new and very quiet on retrieve so the frame bearings are ok.

Regards
Ronje
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Very interesting post but I reckon I will leave it to you John to advise on service and upgrade of all my reels as required.

cheers Craig
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

craig.g wrote:Very interesting post but I reckon I will leave it to you John to advise on service and upgrade of all my reels as required.

cheers Craig
Your lucky you have someone like John to go to, here there is nobody and sending reels interstate is tiresome and costly. Learning the basics has become essential for me.

Cheers
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Bit of info you might find useful John.

It contains the bearing info in Tica Sculptor that I was looking for plus some other common reels.

The bearing dimensions are the crucial bits of info.

http://vlad.mi.ru/koop/all_bbs3.htm

My bearings from Hedgehog arrived today so I'll spend tomorrow fitting them I guess.

I've done the drags on all the reels now. Used .5mm carbontex in the Curado and was able to fit 3 drag washers and 3 steel washers instead of the normal 2 of each when using 1mm washers. The change was quite impressive.

What surprised me was how warped the s/steel washers were on every reel. Only a fraction of the possible surface area contact between fibre washer and s/steel washer meant that the drags were hopeless compared to what they should have been. I spent quite a few hours lapping the s/steel washers. All drags good now though.

Been an interesting project so far.
Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Well, I've upgraded the drag washers to carbontex on the Curado, Daiwa HRF, Calais, 2 x Calcuttas, Sculptor and Daiwa Procaster Z. 7 reels.

Still got plenty of carbontex left to do a couple more if necessary. From 2 x $20 sheets of .5mm and 1mm.

On the Curado, I increased the number of drag washers to 3 by using .5mm washers instead of 2 x 1mm washers. Beautifully smooth drag and capable of lot more than 5 kg now.

wrt the spool bearings, I've done the Curado, HRF and the Calais.

What'a difference in performance on the Curado and HRF.

Mate challenged me to a cast my Curado against his Calais. Gave him 5 m start and beat him by 5m.

More importantly, casting with either reel is now smooth and effortless. You don't have to drive the gear anywhere near as hard. Just concentrate on where you want to put (as John said).

Other parts for Calais arrive today.

If using a reel without a side centrifigul adjustment you need to be extra careful with the fricton adjustment. Like the old Curado. Once that's done these reelsa now a genuine pleasure to cast. Might even catch a fish or two to test the drags.

I've still got the 2 Calcuttas, Sculptor and the Procaster to do yet.

Hedgehog are very good to deal with.
Regards
Ronje
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

Looks like your all good to go Ron. Well worth the effort by the sound of it.
Fisherman-Rob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fisherman-Rob »

Very informative posts and quite intriguing as well, as not knowing a great deal on the repair and replacement of parts for your reels.
Any chance when you get a free sec, to post some pics of the repairs/bearings/parts used and how to properly grease a reel up correctly? Would be great to see the inner workings of these reels and your process involved, etc (if too much hassle, no probs :).

So if a reel has say, 5 ball bearings (as they often use that as there selling points), do you have to replace all 5 BB for a level a consistency and smoothness across the reel?
Also if replacing BB do you have to do the drag washers and other bits as well? (Again New parts vs old and might as well, since your there I suppose?) .. then final step is to grease everything up?
Good to know as a newbie on the repair and replacement of parts on a reel :)

Cheers
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Try this thread to get you started

.http://fishingterritory.com/rods-reels- ... 35904.html
Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Well I've finished.

Very impressive results.

I guess the standout result is that I don't have to "push" the rod when casting. So much less strain on equipment.

So there are no longer any questions in the mind of "can I make" it. Only have to concentrate on where the lure is to land.

Glad that I stumbled onto this thread and thank you to Deep Black and Mad Mortimer.
Regards
Ronje
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

Great results Ronje, I recon when I did my reels it gave them a "better than new" feel and it's a satisfying upgrade using quality bearings that should last for years. After trying a few different brands I think the Hedgehog ones are the best and most affordable.
I realise it's a cost thing but I wonder when manufactures are going to start using higher rated bearings in their reels from the get go, like they are now using carbon drags. Seems like the way forward?

Cheers
Till
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Till »

My new hedgehog bearings turned up yesty. looking forward to seeing the results
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

I think they already are MM.

The ABU Revo series had remarkably good casting as do some of the cheaper versions of modern newer brands. Irrespective of the quality of the reel components, they sure cast ok.

The bearings may not be up to the standard of those supplied by Hedgehog but they are a cut above the quality of the older standard ones.
Regards
Ronje
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

Till wrote:My new hedgehog bearings turned up yesty. looking forward to seeing the results
Let us know what you think when your done fitting them Till.
Till
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Till »

Feckin awesome. I put them in a curado bsf and Just had a bit of cast in the yard. The lure just seems to sail. Will be changing all my reels over
samuel86

Post by samuel86 »

Highly rate the hedgehog studio BFS AIR bearings.