Numus - c'mon give up your recipe

Show off your best recipes or grab one here and impress your partner.
rumjungle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Numus - c'mon give up your recipe

Post by rumjungle »

Looking to do some Numas but was wondering about peoples secret recipes.

I have a few blowins here at present as you do in the dry and want to give them something different.

If there's enough competition between recipes maybe we can arrange a "Numas off"

seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Numus - c'mon give up your recipe

Post by seano »

3parts white vinegar 1part lemon juice and add spring onions grated ginger and chopped chiilis- salt and pepper to taste :mrgreen: :drinking1:
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

I just put the little pieces of fish in a big salad bowl, and cover the lot with lemon and lime juice, no vinegar at all.
Left it for between 3 to four hours.
Get it out of the lemon/lime juice and put it in coconut milk or coconut cream, this break a bit the tang of the lemon, and give it a nice tropical taste.
:wink:
Then I put some tomatoes, and coriander finely chopped in it, for the colours, mix well , put in the fridge a bit longer, and Yumy!
You could put a bit of chilli too, but my 4 year old doesn't like it so much with the chilli...
:lol:

That the way I like it, very simple, often the more difficult, is to catch the fish first.
:wink: :lol:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

I hear trevally & queenfish are the best for nummus?
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Queenfish are the best- very firm flesh
john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

Place choped fish in bowl, I prefer larger chunks.
coat with lemmon or lime juice, ground black pepper, garlic, ginger and chillie if you want.
Massare into fish and let sit for 1/2 an hour.
Cover this with vinigar, I prefer to use Vine Valley Spiced Vinigar for a differant fruiter taste,white vineger tastes like acid to me
Leave in the frige for a few hours, longer if you like thick chunks of fish.
Trev,s and quenies are good also mackies.
Jewies are tops.
Got some barrra from the Finniss this year which tasted more swammpy than they looked when caught.
Turned them into numis, tasted great but the flesh was a bit soft
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Couple of FRESH skinny fillets cut into 3/4" slices across the fillet(split big ones down the middle). Into glass, stainless, or plastic salad bowl, grated finely..zest of 1 lime/lemon..small piece raw ginger..couple of cloves of fresh garlic.. Slice one long red chillie finely into rings..one white onion ditto..one punnet cherry tomatoes (halved)..1/4 cup LIGHT soy..!/4 cup good thai fish sauce (poonsin, ayam)..1 tablespoon palm sugar (Dark sugar is ok)..Enough lime juice to cover...top up with lemon juice, or as a last resort..Cornwells Malt vinegar. good to dissolve sugar in a little lime juice then add. grind in abit of black pepper.. salt to taste..Ready to go in about 1/2 hour..overnight in the fridge is better..usually make mine the night before..COLD BEER..CRUSTY BREAD.. :cheers:
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
rumjungle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumjungle »

Cheers gentlemen and thanks for the recipes. Keep em coming it sounds like there are a few variations.

So the fish is cooked chemically and best to leave it overnight.

Has anyone taken the potion out in the boat and added fresh fish in the glass for a feed?

Rumjungle
john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

Took the ingtediants with us on an extended trip around bathurst.
Made some from a quenie on the second day put it into screw top plastic containers.
Went for a run to maria shoal and back the next day.
When back at camp opened the esky to find one tub had lost its lid
made for intresting tasting beer for the next few days
ajbear
Seadog
Seadog

Post by ajbear »

A mate I work with and his Mrs make it using coconut husk pulped up and chilli and a few other things I'll try and get the recipie out of him, All I know is that it's bl..dy tasty the way they make it!! That's for sure
Just remember if all else fails "try like F##K" !!!!!!!
Sister Ed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Sister Ed »

We made some on a trip. Had eaten what we had and wanted more NOW. Cut the fish in very thin strips, in the vinegar and lime juice, ate it within the half hour, AOK. You can see the flesh turn white when 'cooked'.
takinapunt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by takinapunt »

We take the following out in the boat for a tasty feed, Recipe as follows. 2parts Vine Valley Spiced white vinegar & 1 part sweet shilli sauce then add some thinly sliced onion. Cut the Queeny into pieces about the same size & thickness as Jatz crackers biccies. By the time you are onto your second beer after preparing (approx 1/2 hr fish is white/cooked, onion opaque & both are ready to eat) If you are a culinary type of person you can add garlic, lemon slices etc. NEVER be tempted to use fresh water fish for nummis as they may contain worms that are only killed by properly cooking the flesh. Bon Appetite
Billster
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Billster »

I have experimented with a few different recipies for Numus.
The easiest for the boat is to check the fridge at home before leaving and grab a half empty jar of pickled onions and a packet of Sao biscuits.
First small queenie or such caught gets cut into thin peices and dropped in the pickled onion jar.
30 min or so later slices of pickled onion and queenie on a Sao with a :drinking2: tastes great.

Me and a mate were running late for a quick run to Meckits Creek to collect some crab pots early one morning once and got stuck by the dropping tide with nothing to eat :bonk: luckily had a 2 litre of vinegar in the boat that I keep there in case someone gets nailed by a stinger when out on the water. Cut the top out of a water bottle and used the straight vinegar to make numus out of whatever we caught to keep the worms at bay untill we could get back home.
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero" - Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow. (Horace)
or if all else fails
"C'est la vie"-Sh*t Happens
rumjungle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumjungle »

Thanks for the feedback, now I just need to nail a queenie.

Which is kind of strange because although i consider them a good fighting by catch I always release them.
Agent99
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Agent99 »

RumJungle, queenies are not just for nummus, if you bleed them straight up, fillet and cut out the dark red meat (as with all fish) then you get a lovely flesh that is great rolled in spiced flour and grilled or BBQ'd

But I diverge - nummus - finely sliced queeny or trevally or spaniard - any fresh herbs and vegies you have on hand but I always like to have thick wedges of brown onion, finely sliced ginger, finely chopped garlic, finely sliced red chillies, herbs such as coriander, thai and green basil, garlic chives, shallots, lemongrass all finely sliced, toss this all around in a plastic or glass container, add about half a cup of light soy sauce and half a cup of kecap manis (sweet thick Indonesian soy). Allow this to develop flavours in the fridge for a couple of hours, then cover in white vinegar, and allow to "cook" in fridge. Yum!! The onion wedge pieces will be beautifully pickled along with the fish, and all the fresh herb flavours are delicious
Thank heavens I moved to the Territory, everything I love is here!