Lemon Shark

Show off your best recipes or grab one here and impress your partner.
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Lemon Shark

Post by mippa »

anyone eaten these big suckers? always cut the line and let them go but been thinking you would get some nice big slabs of meat off the buggers. are they good eating? flakes flake right? people eat it from a fish and chip shops.

blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Lemon Shark

Post by blw »

Bugger letting them in the boat lol

cheers Brent
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Only if you're really desperate mate. :wink: I'm a stingy bastrd, so I wrestle em to the surface to get me sinker back. :) Tried a small one once..Couldn't rate it as any good. :| Now a small 1m blacktip, trunked and slurried...that's tasty done in a beer batter. :mrgreen:
graham.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

hey sinkers are expensive these days mate :D i do the same.

was just a thought as i've never heard of anyone eating one. thought it might have been one of those situations where someone said it was cr.p and no one from there on has eaten them because they've heard a story once back in 1852.

might give one a go to say ive done it. :dolphin: :chef2: im sure ive eaten worse. if its cr.p im sure it might make half decent crab bait
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Blacktip and small hammerheads go alright (not handlebars)
googz
Seadog
Seadog

Post by googz »

They are too sour.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Some tequila and salt, and they are good to go
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

I wish they were good on the chew,,,I,d need 2 freezers with the amount I get.Last trip 9 lemons ,,,9 sinkers!!!
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

What species of Lemon Sharks do you get up there. I just googled it, and all the photos are of toothy crtitters. They don't have a traditional shark mouth full of teeth do they?
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Proper lemons do have a ragged mouth full of teeth. The ones these guys are talking about is actually a tawny Nurse shark. Suckers are all over the reefs. A good sign that the area gets plenty of fishing pressure in my veiw.
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

From Wikipedia;
"This species is caught by commercial fisheries across most of its range for meat, fins, liver oil, leather, and fishmeal. It is also esteemed as a game fish off Queensland, Australia, and is known for its habit of spitting water in the faces of its captors. The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) has assessed the tawny nurse shark as Vulnerable, with subpopulations in several areas already diminished or extirpated."

As it is hunted by commercial fisherman in other countries, makes me think they may be good on the chew.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

drifter wrote:From Wikipedia;
"This species is caught by commercial fisheries across most of its range for meat, fins, liver oil, leather, and fishmeal. It is also esteemed as a game fish off Queensland, Australia, and is known for its habit of spitting water in the faces of its captors. The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) has assessed the tawny nurse shark as Vulnerable, with subpopulations in several areas already diminished or extirpated."

As it is hunted by commercial fisherman in other countries, makes me think they may be good on the chew.
Just take a chain saw to dinner to cut it. lol
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Drifter, they say it is a commercial species and they also say it is "esteemed as a game fish off Queensland".

It is esteemed as a game fish only when it's on your mate's line!
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

:lolpoint: :lolpoint: :lol: :lol:
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Oh.....I didn't realised esteemed meant "despised"

Like many sharks, while plentiful here the nurse numbers are dropping around the world. Finning and unregulated commercial fishing equals swift extinction if governments don't act together to protect these awesome fish.
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...