Downrigging for Sailys, what teaser to use??

Show off your best recipes or grab one here and impress your partner.
viking22

Downrigging for Sailys, what teaser to use??

Post by viking22 »

Hey Guys,

First congratulations on a great forum, there is so much really good information on here.

This is my first post, and i am getting sick of just trolling for Wahoo and Tuna. Don't get me wrong its all good when the rods go off,
but i want to target species that are around here that don't get targeted very much on Christmas Island

I am keen to start chasing sails, the problem i have had so far with trolling baits and skirts is the amount of Frigate birds makes it impossible to have the baits in the water for longer than 1 minute. I have thought about teasers to lure them in, but dont know what works, I have never used a teaser i have researched and it seems pretty effective. I also want to get the baits down to the fish and wanted to ask if any of you out there have used downriggers? I do not have any tackle stores here that stock either and therefore cant go and check out or ask which ones are effective. Can someone help me out with a home made downrigger and a good teaser combination i can use for getting them interested.

Thanks heaps for your time.

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Downrigging for Sailys, what teaser to use??

Post by nomad »

Ive just made my own witch doctor look alike teaser. yet to test it but im hopeful
I used scrap stainless steel sheeting fixed to a lump of timber. cost me less than a dollar
cant wait
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Hey Nomad, you'll have to insert some lead weights into it to keep it down, otherwise it'll just bounce and spin around on the surface. Someone else posted not long ago and had the same problem with their home made witch doctor.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Yeah i cant see how the real WD dives under but time will tell. otherwise ill just cut the line and drop it to the bottom and fork out for the real deal
Kp NT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kp NT »

Hey nomad its all to do with the the angle you cut the face and the tow point for how it dives down and the weight is used to create the wobble that wd's have which make it flash alot, but you cant put to much weight in it otherwise they will sink down when you stop instead of float up
I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.” - Steven Wright

"If you want to maintain a sustainable supply of fish you have to farm the fish, rather than mine them. So putting your money into fishing fleets that are going to exacerbate the problem by over-fishing is not the way to preserve the underlying asset."
Maurice Strong
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

i pinched the angle and connection points from a witch doctor.
tried it out yesterday and ...
it just bobbed around on the surface like a cheap imitation made from stainless and a lump of timber. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ah well, cost me bugger all. worth trying.
Im sure pukula didnt get it right on the 1st attempt.

might just bin it and fork out and put it down to experience :bonk: