Long range planning maybe but .....

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Long range planning maybe but .....

Post by AM »

No more trips for me now before Alaska time. Next reasonable tides after we get back I have the southern and eastern connection flying in for the weekend. The venue depends wholly on the build up start intensity. If by October 4th we haven't had any storms I will most likely do the run wide for a couple of days assuming the winds will be settling well and truly by then and hopefully before any of the westerlys kick in. I will probably steam out Friday afternoon hopefully get off work around lunch time and head to Dundee. Obviously the weather would be a factor but confidence would be higher that the current patterns would be on the change of course and at the worst I will be heading south if in any doubt but let's think positive at this stage. I suggest carting fuel for 450 km at a minimum, I have done a 375km trip out to FTB and two at around 340km last year. It is a about 130 km to the main bank from Dundee and an extra 50 from Darwin so you wouldn't want to be heading out with anything you didn't have a bit of confidence in. Currently there is one smaller vessel interested plus another waiting to see if Essington makes the kick and clap grand final as it looks like being on that weekend. Reckon you would get it on the radio out there races are a definite anyway. If any others are interested have a think about the dates definitely not suggesting an in your pocket type trip just a few other boats on the system is a good thing as its covers a lot of country and makes it a bit more interesting with some company around aside from the obvious safety aspect. No stress either way it's not a trip I would do solo anyway and keep in mind you would be beyond the geographical limits of many insurers including TIO. A final word on the weather, any storms and I am out we got fair trowel up before dawn at the end of October last year and I wouldn't go knowingly into harms way again. Took a while to get to grips with it afterwards really ....45knts for 25 mins or so while we were up to side pockets with the scuppers jammed open etc etc. Puts a different perspective on boating thats for sure between being anchored asleep 200 meters offshore at perons or ford and trying to hold the nose into waves capping up to 3 meters 135 km offshore in the dark when it's starts up at that velocity, very very different but it's an interesting run few new fish. Any other suggestions on a trip could be winners , maybe further north even but that is a bit further.

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Long range planning maybe but .....

Post by cuddlescooper »

Spewin. I go back to work on the 29th of sep. would have been keen other wise.
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

Andy....flagged as interested.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

I would be keen but couldn't lift the 44 gallon drum in the boat lol I would love to come but just don't have the fuel capacity
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

PM'd you AM.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

cuddlescooper wrote:Spewin. I go back to work on the 29th of sep. would have been keen other wise.
That is a pr..k would have been good to finally catch up again been a few years since Dingos first comp run down at Dundee/ Finess.
c9h14n wrote:Andy....flagged as interested.
I guessed that one Jamie we will need to get the weather now.
Scottie5.3 wrote:I would be keen but couldn't lift the 44 gallon drum in the boat lol I would love to come but just don't have the fuel capacity
Yes its a bit of a haul just depends on how much running around you do out there and that the weather doesn't catch you out , you could do it with a lot less kms but I would bet on it particularly when the stakes could be your life. Maybe if the thing gets legs somebody would have a spot for you aboard another boat or could take some fuel for you and fill up from them as soon as you arrive to get it out of their rig.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

rumluck wrote:PM'd you AM.
I think you need more posts than 8 to PM but not sure. Either way nothing heard. But man that message is confusing you see PM is my brother actually and he is flying in for this trip :D
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

rumluck wrote:PM'd you AM.
Got your message now, I will give you a call when we get back from Alaska a couple of weeks out and we will see what's happening weather wise.
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

Roger duck.
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

Scottie5.3 wrote:I would be keen but couldn't lift the 44 gallon drum in the boat lol I would love to come but just don't have the fuel capacity
60 litre steel drums are your friend. Unless you cant plane with those weights, theres no excuse. :D
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Might talk to afew blokes at work to put together a crew. We all have open plate boats so it needs to be perfect conditions. We will need to think about carting fuel as I have 200l below. Possibily need 2-3 x60l drums on deck.

Really need a mate with a big half cab.
balawisway
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by balawisway »

I was booking into channel point around those dates but couldn't get in, even with 2 months notice...it's getting popular down there... so I was up for a plan B trip...if weather permits and southerners get up in time, I'll be keen to give it a go.
I've got 7m centre console plate boat with 175 Suzuki with 300litre fuel tank...think of caring extra 100 litres..? I'd be happy to tag along if some crews are penciled in...

Cheers!
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Looks like there is a bit of of early interest. I will see a bit more about the weather when I get back and see how many others are still up for a swing by then. I am thinking of concentrating at least some time south of the main banks system for a look but there is plenty of ground to look around at all over the system if you look on the chart. The tide swings and light changes seen to be pretty important (more so than the perons at least), out that way from what we saw last year and aside from storms the next most likely trip spoiled would be the sharks. We didn't have too much drama but some areas we tried at were just unfishable, your reel just stops halfway down and nothing left or your sinker gone. Plus the pain in the shallower grounds were the millions of smaller sweet lip (a few different ones but mainly pink eared) so bring plenty of bait if you bait fish. Usually ends up a bit over 3 hour run out for me and if it's later afternoon the first 40 km or so will be sea breeze affected so a bit slower. I find it relaxing with a few beers while the rest sleep on the deck. Not sure it's the best overnighting trip if you haven't been going through the motions after dark before as it even pretty mundane tasks become more tricky to pull off after dark. It's a great petty Doug's not here he would be in this for sure. If anybody that does think they would like to go is in need of a crew there is a couple of willing staters already messaged me but so far I am all good for crew.
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

If I can go (about 50% chance I will) I'll have all the crew I need, but would be willing to transport fuel out to the grounds for others.

If this forum is the same as most others trips planned seem to have alot of early interest but peter out once it come to the crunch. Hope this one works out weather permitting.

Last easter we had 5 boats on a 400km round trip over 5 days. It was awesome.

If you dont own fenders, get a couple! The raft ups were the highlight.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

rumluck wrote:If I can go (about 50% chance I will) I'll have all the crew I need, but would be willing to transport fuel out to the grounds for others.

If this forum is the same as most others trips planned seem to have alot of early interest but peter out once it come to the crunch. Hope this one works out weather permitting.

Last easter we had 5 boats on a 400km round trip over 5 days. It was awesome.

If you dont own fenders, get a couple! The raft ups were the highlight.
Your right mate they always drop off as it gets closer.
I would be a bit surprised if by then the weather is not good enough to do the plan B at least.
Fenders are no problems with a bit of shelter but I haven't seen any nights/evenings on the three trip out there so far where you would think of rafting up. A couple of times for a few hours say 11pm to 3 am but not quite calm enough during typical boozatorim hours, but hey we might really strike the weather you never know, or hopefully the fish and just keep on fishn.
Nice offer with the fuel it might help someone out. I will already have about 9 or 10 extra 23 ltr cans on already so will be a bit squeezy until I get to put a 120 or so in when I get out there.