Tuna were hot on Saturday

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
GILDS
Silver Member
Silver Member

Tuna were hot on Saturday

Post by GILDS »

Trip out to Fenton did not produce much apart from Batfish so on the move to CP and came across 20 or so small schools of tuna.
Chased for a hour or two and landed 3 bonito and 3 Blue fin. Great fun on a beautiful Darwin day on the water :catch: :catch: :catch:

2 brothers fishing
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Tuna were hot on Saturday

Post by 2 brothers fishing »

There were heaps of tuna out fenton in the arvo saturday
GILDS
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by GILDS »

2 Bro's, how did you go at Fenton?? I saw nothing bigger than a 40cm Goldy get caught...
2 brothers fishing
Seadog
Seadog

Post by 2 brothers fishing »

we got out there around 4pm trolled around for a few hours for zip. headed back towards lee point for the night managed a mixed bag of goldies, coral trout and trevally. Was a pretty quiet night compared to the last few trips
slamminsam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by slamminsam »

I went out to North Gutter and then tried Fentons on the way home on Saturday for donuts! You're right it was a beautiful day out there. Good to hear someone got some.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I went out to Fenton patches for the first time on Friday night for the tide change, was a bit rough out there. Was too much chop for the electric motor, kept breaking the water and not holding. Even the anchor was struggling, with the wind and tide. It eventually hook the anchor on the reef which did hold us very well, but couldnt get it back.
But the decky got smoked badly, thought it was either a Jew or shark, pulled out the bigger rods and the decky hooked a 79 cm Jew, then I got a 75 and a 99. Decky was getting a bit crook so bashed it home.
GILDS
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by GILDS »

Good work Mick. Were you on a wreck or reef???
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

GILDS wrote:Good work Mick. Were you on a wreck or reef???
Pretty sure it was a wreck, but don't think it was a boat. May have been called ant Aries or something like that. Was just one of the fff marks.
sanigav
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sanigav »

it's interesting to see the evolution of the fentons. The marchart 3 is probably one of the most established wrecks and offers instant bites regardless of the tide, but due to fishing pressure it's pretty hard to catch anything decent. Unless you have a fetish for bats. The steel antares 3 i reckon is great for jews at the turn of the tide. But overall it's a long way to travel for an area that is fished hard. super tempting to go to a place with so much known structure but for the effort in to time, fuel, and tackle there are better options
LancePants
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by LancePants »

We were sitting out on the marchart 3 Sunday morning and managed to jig up a few brassys (nothing crazy, but good fun on light tackle). Lots of bats though!
GILDS
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by GILDS »

I also do a lot of diving out at Fenton and the Jews have defiantly dropped off over the years. Don't often see charters there but the amount of lost gear on some of these wrecks is amazing from week to week. 5 years ago would regularly dive in schools of over 100 jews, now might see a schoo
l of 10-20 every 2nd dive.
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

GILDS wrote:I also do a lot of diving out at Fenton and the Jews have defiantly dropped off over the years. Don't often see charters there but the amount of lost gear on some of these wrecks is amazing from week to week. 5 years ago would regularly dive in schools of over 100 jews, now might see a schoo
l of 10-20 every 2nd dive.
Off topic but bugger it, do you record your dives?
GILDS
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by GILDS »

Only when diving with club..
barnzy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barnzy »

I spear wreaks out fe tons and lee point. The jew are pretty scarce, hopefully they can make a come back. Now I just reef for Jews