The Young feller shows us up

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

The Young feller shows us up

Post by Agent86 »

Well had another cruise down to the Peron Islands on the weekend, weather was pretty good, missed the storms, was looking forward to some rain to have a shower on the back deck, oh well.

We were planning on staying 2 nights, Friday and Saturday but ended up coming home early on Sat as we had enough fish and had already had a ball catching them, had a bit of a hassle getting the boat out when the winch strap broke, and unbeknown to me the decky didnt put the shackle on as someone had pinched it off the trailer :evil: , luckily it happened right at the waters edge and the boat fell off the trailer back in the water before we were on the dry land, just as a big wave came in which helped and we were able to do a quick repair, find a shackle and get her back on the trailer. A bit of entertainment for the onlookers, :uhh: hopefully wont be as much hassle when the new ramp is operating. Bent the transducer and that was the only damage luckily. Just an annoying swell with the wind blowing straight in.

there were a few boats waiting to get pulled out, but obviously no one was phoning in or radioing to get their trailers as ours was brought down before some of the others waiting, I told a couple of boats to call in, it is written on the trailer number cards, they don't seem to take any notice of you holding up the numbers now!

The young feller Alex came along and although it was a bit rough and he felt unwell a bit and had plenty of rest up the front, he still showed us how to do it catching plenty and the two biggest fish of the trip, a Goldspot cod 83cm and over 10 kg and a 126cm Spaniard around 20kg, it was a stonker of a fish and Alex upgraded his PB's easily, i had hooked something on one of the skirts trolling, a trevally and it peeled some line, i asked Alex to wind in the big minnow in the prop wash, 2 cranks of the handle and the big mack hit it and screemed off, taking about 100 metres of line with its first run, with a little help pumping the rod Alex wound all the line back in and we got the big girl in the boat.

He was pretty chuffed with his efforts, even though he was screaming at one stage "i cant hold it dad" lol, with a grimace on his face, you have to I said, I've got one too. :) I think we were a little lucky that the big Mack didn't get sharked, as I have lost a lot in that area before, they must have known Alex had it and to leave it alone for him to catch! :|

We did a bit of trolling round hoping to raise a billfish, had a Cobia up behind the lures at one stage and managed to raise a small Sailfish out near Sail City as well, unfortunately i wasnt quick enough to pitch a bait to it and it disappeared, there was heaps of bait around and schools of tuna busting up everywhere. I reckon I saw a small Marlin earlier around the bait schools as well.

attached a few of pics of the nice fish we caught, Jason got his first Coral Trout and had a ball with his little jig rod, got busted off a couple of times by unstoppables :D

The ramp at Dundee is looking good, shouldn't be too long :wink:

Heading across to Melville/Bathurst in a couple of weeks and hope to get amongst a few fish over there :)
IMG_7324 1.jpg
IMG_7328 1.jpg
IMG_7333 1.jpg
IMG_7335 1.jpg
IMG_7336 1.jpg
IMG_7340 1.jpg
IMG_7343 1.jpg
IMG_7349 1.jpg
IMG_7351 1.jpg
IMG_7352 1.jpg
IMG_7353 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: The Young feller shows us up

Post by jeffish »

Great effort by young Alex with that STONKER Mackie,, :clap:
Tick up another cool Perons trip Mate ,, sorry I missed it .

Very lucky with the boat dropping off the trailer , I have seen a few
come off half way up the ramp , Not good .
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Classic photo with the fish bigger than him!!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Some stonker fish there, reel quality.

Congrats to Alex, his fishing bug must be burned in now :mrgreen:
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

nice work mate, killed it again!!
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Nothing better than seeing a young fella getting hooked on fishing. :)
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

That's just awesome, well done.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Good on you Alex! sorry that you got crook
sanigav
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sanigav »

gees!! i hope you guys entered the blue water classic? by the looks of it you'd be very competitive with big target species. Good on ya Agent86 you guys always look like you're having a ball out there which is the main thing. some absolute cracker spots out near the Perons.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Thanks for the replies everyone, we had a ball, always do down that way, and never know what you are going to find
always exploring for new ground :)
jeffish wrote:Great effort by young Alex with that STONKER Mackie,, :clap:
Tick up another cool Perons trip Mate ,, sorry I missed it .

Very lucky with the boat dropping off the trailer , I have seen a few
come off half way up the ramp , Not good .
Yeah Jeff, Alex is still smiling...lol will be a while before he beats that one I reckon.
yeah boat ramp was a bit scary, lucky I had the motor up and the boat floats in a puddle, otherwise mightn't have been good!!
bent the downscan transducer unfortunately, have to straighten it out and see if it still works
theodosius wrote:Classic photo with the fish bigger than him!!
yeah theo, I cut the tail off the mack before putting it in the esky, pick of him holding the tail is a ripper, big smile.
Matt Flynn wrote:Some stonker fish there, reel quality.

Congrats to Alex, his fishing bug must be burned in now :mrgreen:
had a ball again Matt, I think the young feller is hooked for good!
Quinntreximon wrote:Nothing better than seeing a young fella getting hooked on fishing. :)
you got it mate, I know heaps of guys that go out by themselves and don't take the young fellers, mine have all been going with me since before they were 2
Alex is the only one that's caught a metre Barra yet too, better put it up on the page and get a sticker for him, forgot!
nomad wrote:Good on you Alex! sorry that you got crook
don't worry nomad, he was chucking up occasionally in between pulling in big fish, tough little bugger :bow:
sanigav wrote:gees!! i hope you guys entered the blue water classic? by the looks of it you'd be very competitive with big target species. Good on ya Agent86 you guys always look like you're having a ball out there which is the main thing. some absolute cracker spots out near the Perons.
nah didn't enter this year sanigav, we were planning on coming back on Sunday, but had all had enough fun by lunchtime Sat with a good feed as well, maybe next year with the kids :wink:
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!