Point Blaze Pan Pan On Sunday

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
hottuna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Point Blaze Pan Pan On Sunday

Post by hottuna »

Hey Guys,
Had a bit of an issue on Sunday out wide of Dundee and was forced to issue a Pan Pan call over the radio.
I was in close off Blaze and had 2 boats respond. One made the run in from Sail City (a Trailcraft Profish 485 with Mariner on the back, Thanks again Rob) and another offered to run me down his spare battery. I'm pretty sure they were out off Point Jenny.
I managed to track the guys from the Profish down and pass on my thanks but I haven't managed to find the other guys.
If they are members here or if anybody knows who they are can you please let me know. I've got a thanks waiting for them.
Tight Lines
Dave

Bluewater Dreamin'
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Point Blaze Pan Pan On Sunday

Post by Jer »

Good to hear people replying to calls for assistance. And good on the boats for doing so.
hottuna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hottuna »

Yeah don't worry Jer, there was good with the bad. After 5 hours of waiting I popped a smoke flare at a passing boat but they obviously had somewhere more important to be.
Bluewater Dreamin'
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

hottuna wrote:Yeah don't worry Jer, there was good with the bad. After 5 hours of waiting I popped a smoke flare at a passing boat but they obviously had somewhere more important to be.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
makes my blood boil.

so did the initial response come from people listening on the radio? id be very surprised up here.
I asked the Coast Guard how many calls they make for the Saturday and they said FIVE!!
unbelievable that only 5 people contacted the centre. there would be 100 boats on the water
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Glad you got help out there Dave , Not surprised by the passing boat though
I've seen it all to often. Most don't even turn the radio on (if they have one)
sanigav
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sanigav »

i dunno if its realistic to expect NT recreational fisho's to stay tuned to ch 16 for the duration of their sessions
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Glad to hear all ok Dave

Great to hear people respond, even if only a few, good on the guys that did.

Made a few calls out that way myself in the past on different channels and had no responses, bit of a worry, always carry a sat phone now.

I always leave my radio on scan function, just to make sure you can catch any calls, scans through pretty quick, and if fishing wit someone can just let them know to do a proper call to contact you
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

sanigav wrote:i dunno if its realistic to expect NT recreational fisho's to stay tuned to ch 16 for the duration of their sessions
???? not hard or unrealistic , just the law of the sea . Even if you can't assist you may be able to relay a message to
another boat that can .

And a top job to the guys that did help :applause:
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Glad some people helped
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

sanigav wrote:i dunno if its realistic to expect NT recreational fisho's to stay tuned to ch 16 for the duration of their sessions

geez i hope this is a p..s take!
if not, are you kidding? how hard is it to leave your radio running while you are fishing? I know of people who only turn their radio on 'if they want to talk to someone' - thats just stupid
its just one of the things you do when you start out from the ramp. erect antennas, radio, fishfinder, trim, secure the stuff on board and up here crack a tinny!
not withstanding the above - ITS THE LAW.! :evil:
sanigav
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sanigav »

turning the radio on and staying tuned are completely different things. i most certainly don't diligently monitor all traffic over the radio network for the entire session, and if you think thats a realistic expectation for NT fishos then i think you might need to reconsider.

perhaps more regulation would have an impact. but saying it's the law without having any licence testing and expecting full compliance is a bit rich. i have my radio turned on all the time and am happy to help if i receive a call. but my main effort as a recreational fisho is to fish, have fun, listen to music and keep the people on my boat safe
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

nomad wrote:

if not, are you kidding? how hard is it to leave your radio running while you are fishing? I know of people who only turn their radio on 'if they want to talk to someone' - thats just stupid
its just one of the things you do when you start out from the ramp. erect antennas, radio, fishfinder, trim, secure the stuff on board and up here crack a tinny!
Not actually law Nomad. Its actually illegal unless you have a registered call sign and a mirine radio operators certificate of profficiancy to use one but lets not go there!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

cuddlescooper wrote:
nomad wrote:

Not actually law Nomad. Its actually illegal unless you have a registered call sign and a mirine radio operators certificate of profficiancy to use one but lets not go there!
Although by marine legislation all vessels over 5m have to be fitted with a vhf so go figure. Lol
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Good on you for at least turning your radio on. That’s a great start

No one is saying that you have to listen intently and forego everything else. Just think of it as a few blokes at the pub having a yarn and you hear something serious on the tv in the background. You switch straight to that tv story
Im not the sharpest tool in the shed but even I can have a conversation with someone, have music blaring in the background and hear an important message on the vhf.

I can tell you that whenever you hear a panpan, securite or mayday calls, Your mind immediately turns to the vhf
FYI the coast guard run courses in how to legally operate your radio. Knowledge is no burden to carry.

Under federal regulations, you need an operating certificate to use a VHF and HF radio. But like cuddles said, we wont go there. ive never heard of anyone betting fined for using a radio without a licence

My take on it is that you must have a radio if you are x kms off shore and if fitted you must use it??

Its been a while since I did my course but that’s how I remember it.

BTW cuddles, its now called Long Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency (LROCP)  - typical govt thing I suppose
Makrel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Makrel »

Don't be too hard on someone not responding to the smoke flare. Assume it was not seen.

I did not see several flares set off by a mate 300m away when I was actively hunting Mackerel on fly. i think I saw his 3rd flare and responded.