Point Blaze Pan Pan On Sunday

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Point Blaze Pan Pan On Sunday

Post by nomad »

Makrel wrote:Don't be too hard on someone not responding to the smoke flare. Assume it was not seen.

I did not see several flares set off by a mate 300m away when I was actively hunting Mackerel on fly. i think I saw his 3rd flare and responded.
should have gone to Spec Savers!
I know how hard it is to find someone who is in the water but geez that is really scary.

Makrel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Makrel »

The point is - if you are not looking for a problem and are busy doing something you may not see a flare.

I do hate radio chatter in the background when I am fishing. but do switch on when i am off shore.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Makrel wrote:The point is - if you are not looking for a problem and are busy doing something you may not see a flare.

I do hate radio chatter in the background when I am fishing. but do switch on when i am off shore.
I just hate everything!

I understand your point. how often do we scan the horizon while fishing? I always do while driving but ...
I ended up in the drink years ago and ever since ive kept a good lookout just incase.
you will be surprised just how hard it is to see a person in the water even when you are looking for someone.
ThreeLittleFish
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ThreeLittleFish »

BTW cuddles, its now called Long Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency (LROCP)
Actually you can get a Short Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency (SROCP) if you only operate a VHF and don't require/use a HF.
ThreeLittleFish
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ThreeLittleFish »

BTW cuddles, its now called Long Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency (LROCP)
Actually you can get a Short Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency (SROCP) if you only operate a VHF and don't require/use a HF.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Three Little Fish is right. Short range course for VHF only and Long range course if you've got a MF/HF with or without VHF (but you learn about VHF on it).

The NT S&R system will remain in the doldrums until the AVCG gets off its backside and starts monitoring that VHF repeater on Ch 21. Provide some service to boaties and the system will start to become useful.

The long range CH16 operated by the Darwin Harbour Board can only be controlled by the Darwin Harbour Board. The way its operated is about 50 years out of date with its centralized authoritarian cell.

The reality is that its not the Darwin Harbour Control that goes out and gets people. It just passes alerting messages to people who can. Its a glorified telephone exchange that works ok for harbor traffic but not so well for effective safety coverage.

In Qld the volunteer AVCG and/or Marine Rescue guys have control access to the long range VHF Ch 16 networks put in by Maritime Safety Qld. Big long network of them into every port on east coast Qld.

They also have access to VHF marine repeater systems.

But we've been down this track a couple of times already and nothing is going to change until/unless you guys (recreational/commercial users) start bringing in the changes yourselves.

Got a 73cm barra at the end of East St in the CBD in Rocky yesterday. Last one for season.

Only 2-3 months ago guys caught 60 of 1 metre or more in the CBD as well. The town reach was absolutely on fire,

Not too many places in Aus you can do that.
Regards
Ronje
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Got that right ronje , radio ops here is next to useless without the repeater network .