Night cliff boat ramp

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Tavis
Silver Member
Silver Member

Night cliff boat ramp

Post by Tavis »

Hi I'm heading out in my tinnie on sat and wanted to fish for some Pelagic's. I'm only 15 will be in my own boat so won't be able to go to far to fish. Any good spots to try not to far from the boat ramp at night cliff jetty for Pelagic's.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scamper
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Night cliff boat ramp

Post by Scamper »

If you head for Old Man Rock, about 4 km towards Lee Point. Usually get big mackerel around there. You can flick/troll lures, or float a pilchard or gar fish under a balloon.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Nightcliff ramp on your own could be the hardest part.
Towards Mandorah you have nightcliff reef nice and close which should host some pelagics and to the other side of coconut grove is east point which is worth a go. To the east you have lee point and on the way there you have old man rock and a few other reefs that are worth a look.
Depending on the size of your tinny and experience you are going to need to watch the wind forecast. You probably want the westerly to stay below 15 knots else make other plans.
Then you only have to worry about a storm. Keep an eye on the clouds and head in early if it starts to build / blow up, remember it could take you up to a good 30 minutes to get back safely tot he ramp and you should plan accordingly if you need to leave. If you get caught out, nose into the wind / waves and take it slow, like a very fast troll but not up on the plane.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Glad you found a tinny. Didn't realise you were 15, would have done you a deal. There are barra in the mangroves to the south of Nightcliff ramp. Enjoy your first trip!
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Next time your out just have a flick around all the rocks along the foreshore, the calmer the better. Also don't ignore very shallow areas with rocks especially during the build up.
Tavis
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tavis »

Cheers for all the tips guys will try to have a look at all these spots. The boat is a decent size 4.2 and is pretty stable so should be able to handle a bit of waves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk