How to fish tides after big springs

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

What's the best way to fish descending tides after big springs?

Chase jewies on the turn
14%
Chase reef fish on the turn
18%
Go crabbing
18%
Go to Dundee
7%
Hit the billabongs
7%
Stay home
36%

Total votes: 28

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

How to fish tides after big springs

Post by Matt Flynn »

Off Darwin the descending tides after big springs have always been a bit of grey area. Water is usually too dirty for pelagics, at least in close. Too much run for reef fish unless you fish the short window on the turn, or fish shallow areas out of the tidal currents (Loee etc), or off Dundee where there is less tidal current.

They are OK jewie tides because the water is dirty and there is tidal run, with jewies biting on the short turn window.

What do most fishos do on descending springs, stay home? Chase crabs? Hit billabongs?

Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fishing tides after big springs

Post by Jeno »

Always been a grey area for me so interested to hear what others do!
No matter where you go, there you are!
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: How to fish tides after big springs

Post by jeffish »

I stay home , or just try some LB .
joesgotone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by joesgotone »

I don't get too many choices on when to fish so make do with whatever tide is on the day. I have caught Macks on livies on massive tides when it looks too dirty for bluewater fish. I just plan an activity based on the tide and try not to feel disappointed if I don't catch anything.

Always enjoy the time you spend out on the water or on the rocks and if you catch a fish then that is a bonus.

No this doesn't mean I don't catch much. Just means that I can enjoy my day no matter what the score at the end of it.

You can enjoy a donut if it was a nice day and an interesting experience or challenge. The fish are just the icing you always want to have on your donut for a bit more spice.

Have a great day and if it happens, get a fish or two along the way.
how many is enough lures, rods and reels. Is there a magic number, considering you usually only catch 1 fish on a single lure on the one rod and reel your casting with.
tangels
Seadog
Seadog

Post by tangels »

I go landbased live bait,
Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

if she is stirred up i'll fish the incoming tide chasing the pelagics and look for that cleaner water, queenfish and macks don't seem to mind a bit of silt so you can find some fun somewhere.
Bruce Simpson
197 Pioneer Sportfish - 175hp Honda.
Ex Sandgroper from Karratha
Member of KBGFC and DGFC.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

For a while I was fishing Darwin harbour for barra every Saturday and Sunday and at the time the peak of the springs and neaps were staying closely aligned to the weekends. What I found was if I fished after the springs had peaked, it was almost a complete waste of effort. I could get 3 or 4 one day with heaps of boofs and then the following day it was dead quiet. Zip.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

I voted stay home but what I meant was go hunting - it pays to have two hobbies!
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

Stay home and work on the VK commy :drinking8: :smoking:
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Not too bad for drifting and jigging down around the perons, quite often when the big tides are middle of the week I go after them on the weekend.
still seem to find the fish, a little bit of colour in the water means the fish cant see as well either and use their senses to find and eat things.

Tuna and macks still feed on the high tide and jew on the change of low so can still get a variety,

you gotta go when you can go and make the best of it :-)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!