Work to start on SHADY RAMP

Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Work to start on SHADY RAMP

Post by nomad »

Well they have given the go-ahead to start the Shady ramp
All they need to do now is to dredge about 1km downstream and it should be ok. The extra depth adjacent to the side is just an accident waiting to happen. Crocs can just sit in the deep water and launch themselves up the side and …..
I often wonder why people haven’t been grabbed while standing waist deep on the barrage so I suppose that they will leave us alone while launching/retrieving boats.
Time will tell

https://dipl.nt.gov.au/infrastructure/p ... mp-upgrade

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Work to start on SHADY RAMP

Post by mickkk »

My understanding of it, is that mud can not be dredged. Something about a oil / toxin would be released if they did. Hence my objections to this ramp. If I'm wrong I'll be stocked, but I think the advice was pretty reliable.
This will be a bigger white eliphant than the bridge to no where.
I don't even think it will be 10 years before it needs 5m plus, notso much to launch, but to get down stream.
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

I would be happy if the government didn't do this and held off for a better location. The problem with that is my understanding is that the CLP had already awarded contracts before this government came to power. It's a real catch 22 for the government as if they were to break contract, it would be a shocker of a message in challenging fiscal times and potential to impact investor confidence.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

mickkk wrote:My understanding of it, is that mud can not be dredged. Something about a oil / toxin would be released if they did. Hence my objections to this ramp. If I'm wrong I'll be stocked, but I think the advice was pretty reliable.
This will be a bigger white eliphant than the bridge to no where.
I don't even think it will be 10 years before it needs 5m plus, notso much to launch, but to get down stream.
I'm pretty sure you're correct in saying the mud cannot be dredged. I'm certain there was something in one of the survey documents that mentioned sulphur in the mud or something to that affect.
Rug wrote:I would be happy if the government didn't do this and held off for a better location. The problem with that is my understanding is that the CLP had already awarded contracts before this government came to power. It's a real catch 22 for the government as if they were to break contract, it would be a shocker of a message in challenging fiscal times and potential to impact investor confidence.
As would I. A ramp elsewhere would be a much better idea.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Acid sulphate mud is a common problem, once exposed it makes sulphuric acid, then heavy metals are released ... not the run-off you want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_sulfate_soil

Interesting case, Trinity Inlet in Cairns ... http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3221659.htm ... the Murray http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2232992.htm

Seems like everyone wants the guv to hold off and put the Shady ramp cash towards a (more expensive) ramp downstream, which they will eventually have to do anyway ...
Barrajas
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Barrajas »

Why aren't they looking for a better location abit further down Sampan??
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Too expensive :(
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I can't get over that a few million $$ are going to be spent, when it seems 90 % of fisho's don't want it.
Seems afant let the ball down with this one.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I was thinking about heading back for 1 last trip but also read that the temp ramp wont be accessible at all times due to operations. Waiting for build up now before I go back. They better finished it by September as said. Big barra need catching
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

mickkk wrote:I can't get over that a few million $$ are going to be spent, when it seems 90 % of fisho's don't want it.

Before govts do just about anything, they seek submissions from the general public and other interested parties!
Problem is that we are way too slack to do anything about it and hope that others will do what we want and then we end up with a camel instead of the horse that we originally wanted.
This current govt cant get out of the contract without paying out huge sums of OUR money

So next time don’t leave important issues up to others, we have to do it ourselves
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

nomad wrote:
mickkk wrote:I can't get over that a few million $$ are going to be spent, when it seems 90 % of fisho's don't want it.

Before govts do just about anything, they seek submissions from the general public and other interested parties!
Problem is that we are way too slack to do anything about it and hope that others will do what we want and then we end up with a camel instead of the horse that we originally wanted.
This current govt cant get out of the contract without paying out huge sums of OUR money

So next time don’t leave important issues up to others, we have to do it ourselves
Part of the problem is a lot of people would like some improvement to the launch at Shady, my self included. But after the Dundee debacle and more scrutiny of this proposal, I think people are realising that the plan is half baked.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Rug wrote:I would be happy if the government didn't do this and held off for a better location. The problem with that is my understanding is that the CLP had already awarded contracts before this government came to power. It's a real catch 22 for the government as if they were to break contract, it would be a shocker of a message in challenging fiscal times and potential to impact investor confidence.
I think it would be a smart decision that the industry would respect. I bet that deep down even the contractor awarded the tender isn't impressed with the design either they or some of the other tenders have probably recommended alternative designs, albeit at a cost. DIPL will be having their hands tied by a department head who is getting bent over by a minister trying to deliver a promise and play politics so that they can keep their seat.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

You hit the nail on the head there Nomad.

Lazy fishermen is the biggest problem we have, unless you are involved with the process and communicate with Government you cant complain about the outcome.

Just like Dundee the contract was signed off under the CLP government, this government cant get out of it. Its legally binding and watertight.

In saying that this ramp will certainty increase access to shady camp, it will be safer from crocodiles and it will mean nobody will get bogged launching
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

dannett wrote:
I think it would be a smart decision that the industry would respect. I bet that deep down even the contractor awarded the tender isn't impressed with the design either they or some of the other tenders have probably recommended alternative designs, albeit at a cost. DIPL will be having their hands tied by a department head who is getting bent over by a minister trying to deliver a promise and play politics so that they can keep their seat.
The problem here is the Minister responsible for DIPL is also the Treasurer. The Minister for DPIR has a massive piece of the Territory economy in his portfolio. This is where it becomes complicated in the bigger picture given they have most of the Territory economy under their stewardship. that's where breaching contract is really problematic for them.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I am on a deadline this week so don't have time to scroll through posts, but from memory there were concerns raised on here about the Shady plan long before it was signed off. I don't think fishos can be blamed in this instance, if you can forgive them for not marching on parliament about it.

I agree that fishos often tend to complain after the fact, but the online environment does allow easy collection of opinions/feedback, the govt should pay attention.

I assume there has been a hydrology study out there, because the student studying the area says in his YouTube video that it is silting up below the ramp. I'd be interested to hear his opinion now there has been a decent Wet. If it has flushed out, has it just bought time? Or will it remain clear enough for access?