Mary river bridge lagoon night flick round 2

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Mary river bridge lagoon night flick round 2

Post by goldfish »

Mary river bridge lagoon night flick round 2..

''F...k that was close'' i commented as another suicidal wallaby flew past the bullbar only mere mm from hitting the trailer. No doubt about it theres a few dumb ones out this way. We were heading out for a night mission at the mary again. Like usual there was no shortage of moments like this until we were pulling into the ramp picnic area.
Arriving at the sensible time of 2:00am we cautiously surveyed the ramp with the spotties for crocs before putting the boat in with no sightings .....
Following the cleaning of the super sticky highly prized Mary River boatramp mud from up to the knees. We hit the throttle.
Off we headed soon we were eagerly cruising up the centre of the river. Lights and stereo blazing and moto goggles on ...... 8)

Finally the day had arrived and the much anticipated river height was upon us at the same time i had a few days off and our house chores were done (or put off till later in my case ) :fu:

We headed straight to the cliffs and began casting large shallow divers along the edges fluorescent green bombers got 2 hits and lost another one on a halco rooster in gold. No hits stayed on possibly due to the large hooks they run.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

We tried the 2nd set too and saw a few barra feeding but no action on the lures. Off we headed to a few of the feeder creeks. Night session was pretty quiet with 2 short 30 min bites producing 9 fish to 74 and a few straight trebles in the tight country on the 10cm xraps in drop bear colours. I changed to a bleeding mullet nilsmaster 6 inch invincible thinking '' these hooks are way better'' and bent them too.!! Seeing that my decky mate put his 150mm greenback silver bomber back on. Once we upped the lure size the bigger ones came on. But on dawn they came on a fish a cast for 2 hrs didn't matter what you threw in. It was getting eaten by decent sized fish. All barra, all 60 plus.We lost some rippers but got a few in the net around the low 80s.

But everytime we hooked up a good one the hooks would pull straight. Or if that didn't happen they'd get pulled out or you'd simply blow away your whole entire rig ,leader, lure and all. We had a few times when we would get done over by powerful fish in the current using the snags along the deep edge to their full advantage instead of playing nicely..... Both of us were running 50lb fully locked up too. . :bonk:

:D :D :D :D :D :cheers:
Soon the next days crew rolled in. Once the next shift of anglers arrived they dropped off the plane, drove straight up with their main motor revving hard against the current. Big Waves crashed into the bank stuffing it all up for everyone. We stayed for a further 20min. Despite our favorite lures that just moments before were cleaning up, both us and them not suprisingly caught nothing . We pulled anchor and hit the gas, running the 400m of sandbar shallows at 45 km/ hr (don't try this one at home kids)

Fortunately we missed the island and kept it on the plane the whole way through. 8)

We had a quick cast at Mc Kinlay mouth on the way back but didn't hang around very long. We pulled the boat out and retired to coroboree tavern for a bit of brekkie before heading back home for the fun task of cleaning the boat and packing up. Well worth all the cr.p trips earlier this year to get onto the barra on a hot bite again was a great feeling . Got me keen as to hit the barra hard this season.

Best session of the year so far ...... :mrgreen:

:fishing:

:fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy:

Costs:

Fuel 20l $30
Lures lost $45
Bottle of spirits $58
Good times ......priceless
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Mary river bridge lagoon night flick round 2

Post by tristan.sloan »

nice report goldfish. I've never fished the mary river bridge lagoon. Will have to give it a crack one day.
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Sounds good, what night were you out there GF?
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Well done mate. I used to fish the billabong exit down near the sandbars, haven't been back for years
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

The water looks about the right level down the ramp.

Had some cricket score sessions in that river in the past.
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Great report, well done.
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Nice that you didn't have to line up at the ramp with over 100 others...great report, sounds like a ripper trip. Love fishing there withe the old man but have not done so in well over 30 years might be time to put it back on the agenda.
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
Bigaz
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bigaz »

wicked mate, will have to explore that area a bit more i reckon.
Caution: there’s something fishy about this fella…

Fishing isn’t a matter of life and death…. It’s much more important.