Running two transducers

Marro
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Running two transducers

Post by Marro »

Through a moment of weakness (can't resist a good deal) I ended up with two Garmin chart plotter/fish finders. I've been using one as a sounder and the other as a stand alone chart plotter, ie. I didn't set up the second transducer. I'm now thinking it would be nice to have one running on full screen side scan and the other set up to show chart plotter and down scan. Before I bust my arse trying to run another transducer cable from the transom is there anything I should be aware of in relation to where the second transducer can be placed. I have only one mounting plate (see photo) which ideally is where I would like to put it but will that affect the operation of the existing transducer. In addition, to set up the second transducer in line with the hull it will sit lower than the existing transducer. Would this affect the operation of the side scan from the higher placed transducer. Ok over to the brains trust. Hope you can help. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Running two transducers

Post by fish4me123 »

I would clamp the new one on plate and do a trial run. I have 3 and it is amazing they can be used altogether. with no interference. The reason I say try it is to see it works on the plane. tempory run cable on floor for test
tight lines
Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

What model Garmins? 74 xsv series can link via Ethernet, I have mine joined that way and can have the Panoptix on either unit or the down vu side vu stuff. So much to look at
Bruce Simpson
197 Pioneer Sportfish - 175hp Honda.
Ex Sandgroper from Karratha
Member of KBGFC and DGFC.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

I'm running 2 lowrance without any problems
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

I run 2 humminbirds side by side, the side imaging ducer is lower than the down imaging. I run the SI at 800/83 and the DI at 200/455 so no interference.

I can see all frequencies on both units as they are networked together, so SI on the DI-only unit.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Anyone here running the new humminbird helix mega units?

Side imaging needs to be below other transducers and have clear view to both sides of boat, level according to this video for optimum performance, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuYsmJRc_fE.
Marro
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Marro »

Thanks for your replies. Fish4me123, your suggestion of trialling before setting up permanently makes good sense. I'll do that over next couple of days. Simmo83, I've got 75sv. Sadly I didn't understand anything you said there, sounds to complex for my old head!! Jabsy, that also makes sense. I'll set up accordingly. So it's sounding like I shouldn't have any major dramas. Thanks again.
Daz12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Daz12 »

If you get too much interference when you do your trial, another option is to mount it on the other side by "silasticing" a 4" square of polypropylene cutting board to the transom. Then use self tappers to fix your transducer to the board. Saves drilling any holes in your boat.
I did this on mine five or six years ago and it's still going strong.
Daz12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Daz12 »

Something like this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marro
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Marro »

Good one Daz12. Hopefully won't need to but will keep it in mind.