Seeking Advice. Angler First Time In Darwin

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
stilweel

Seeking Advice. Angler First Time In Darwin

Post by stilweel »

Hi Fellow Anglers,

I will be travelling to Darwin this coming weekend for the first time and hoping to catch some fish down under during my time there.

Unfortunately my travel mates are honey mooning couples and non anglers. So i am pretty much on my own there.

Could any kind souls advise me on land based spots? preferably not too far from the CDB area as i don't drive.

I am hoping to break my personal best barra record of 9kg and tussle with some GTs land based.

And also any information on Mandorah Jetty as i am a bit confuse on the ferry timings. Can i make a day trip there without staying overnight?

All advise are greatly appreciated. TIA.

Best regards

tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Seeking Advice. Angler First Time In Darwin

Post by tristan.sloan »

you can most definitely make the day trip to Mandorah jetty. Its a very short ride across the harbor.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Gday ,
The Ferry runs all day and into the night , not sure on times but fairly regular. So day trips are ok .
As for other L/B spots East Point is easy to get to from the city . Also the rock walls around Cullen bay where you catch the Ferry from are worth checking out . There is a Land base section on here that has some great info . As for GT's LB , maybe but more around during the Dry .

Good Luck .
stilweel

Post by stilweel »

Thanks guys!
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Lameroo beach off the esplanade holds a few different species check it out on google maps for access. Flicking livies or lures off the beach or rocks on the left are worth a few casts. Stokes hill wharf holds good fish but not many are landed despite the effort.

good luck chuck a post up if you get a few.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

goldfish wrote:Lameroo beach off the esplanade holds a few different species check it out on google maps for access. Flicking livies or lures off the beach or rocks on the left are worth a few casts. Stokes hill wharf holds good fish but not many are landed despite the effort.
I hear Channel Island goes alright too. :rofl:
stilweel

Post by stilweel »

Guys,

I've been to cullen bay and lameroo beach. Nothing at Cullen bay and lost a lady fish at lameroo. Also been on a half day charters off darwin habour lost a big jew to the reef, only landed a couple of small snappers. Will be trying east point and mandorah in the next few days. Could anyone advise me on the optimal timings and tides. Thanks!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

East Point has good ledges at various stages of the tide. Nightcliff side can produce barra on the low, western side ledges good at mid to high tide.

Mandorah I assume is best at high tide but I didn't fish off the wharf much, used to get a few jacks off the rocks as the tide came in. Skinnies as well.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Cullen Bay rock wall on a morning high tide (typically will be a big 7m tide) for the first few hours. I preferred the Southern side, out towards the western point. It's public land until you go around that point, but the residents have blocked off the lane way and the lady who owns the vacant block doesn't like you cutting across it and the navy will try and tell you they own the rocks which they don't. Can get good queenfish and lots of small trevally and a few mackerel there. Hooked up to something much bigger one morning but didn't set the hooks I think it was a big cod.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

When are you leaving town?
stilweel

Post by stilweel »

Thanks for all the suggestion guys! I'll be leaving this coming Sunday.