A bit of luck

Nick.P
Gold Member
Gold Member

A bit of luck

Post by Nick.P »

G'day all,

Some days its all about being in the know and having the right gear for the job, other days all it takes is a bit of luck.

I was recently invited out for a days fishing with my mate in his dads boat, (having been subject to LB fishing only for the last year or so I jumped at the opportunity). The plan was pretty simple, head out for a couple hours and see if we couldn't bag a couple of flatties.

We left at the gentlemen's hour of 8 and was on the water well after the sun was up being around 9 am. Launched the boat without any dramas and made a move to out first spot. Had a drop along the way near a flock of birds which looked of interest but alas, the fish were not to be found. Onwards to the actual first spot. We pulled up and having baited the hooks with some fresh squid caught the night prior it didn't take long for the fish to start biting.

The first few on board were no monsters but legal fish none the less. We continued to pull in fish after fish for the next couple of hours with the biggest going about 40cm. With out bag of flatties we moved over to a rocky headland to see what else we couldn't rustle up before heading off.

This turned out to be a good move.

It started off slow with a few wrasse too small to bother keeping and one of the biggest gurnard I have ever seen (didn't get a measurement but was easily gone 40cm). It was only about 3-5m deep and we could see heaps of fish about, just nothing much to write home about. It was just as we were about to head off when I saw something out the back of the boat, and it didn't take me long to note the unmistakable yellow tails of a school of kingfish.

I quickly threw my bait rod in the holder leaving it in the water and picked up a pre-tied plastic rod. By the time I was ready to cast, my friends dad had been busted off by one up the front and my girlfriend who was also with us was hooked up on a plastic at the back. I frantically got my lure in the water and twitched and jigged it with no more than a few follows and little interest. At this point my girlfriends fish was at the boat and just as I was about to assist, the rod I had left in the holder doubled over and I had to leave the job of landing the first fish to my mate who was halfway through cleaning a flathead.

Unfortunately as my mate grabbed the leader the fish took a massive run and busted the line in a matter of seconds. So the pressure was all on me to land this prize fish. After a good tussle and having lost and gained a good deal of line it was at the boat, I handed my rod off to my mate and grabbed the leader to land the fish, after a few go's I finally stayed connected with its tail and hauled it into the boat. It was no monster at 56cm to the fork but a solid fish and a first for me.

After that we hung around for a while to see if the school would return, but it was not to be. We made the call to head home all pleased with the days efforts.

Now I just can't wait to get back out there and try tangle with some more, I must say, it's taken a while for me to adjust to Tassie fishing after making the move from Darwin, but I think I'm starting to like it.

Tight lines!

Cheers,
Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: A bit of luck

Post by theodosius »

Nice fish
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Nice one, great if you can find a reliable kingie spot, they say they are moving further south down the island, pink snapper too.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

:mrgreen: Good work Nick , great fish to do battle with . wish we had some up here :cheers:
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Well done Nick; they don't know how to give up!