..............and some more

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

..............and some more

Post by Dick »

Whilst numbers of anglers fishing for barras is still small those giving it a good crack are getting some quality fish. Can't wait to see what it'll be like in a couple of years when all the different lots of stocked fish have reached lure grabbing size.

Best one here from yesterday went 94cm, fought as good as any and weighed at least as much as a salty metre fish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Regards Dick
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Re: ..............and some more

Post by Jer »

That's a thick 94. Nice fish.
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Nice fish Dick.

Do you know what size the barra are stocked at?
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Job well done to your self and rest involved in regards to stocking in the past :applause: , barra on our door step in sum most scenic fishing area of australia. Its future could be anything, snuck couple smaller models in over weekend and couple whiskery monsters on the cast
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

NBN wrote:Nice fish Dick.

Do you know what size the barra are stocked at?
about 50 to 70mm.

And nice work there on that powertail Ponyplay :D
Regards Dick
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Thx Dick.
When I fished Tinaroo several months ago I was shocked to see dozens of big dead Barra. Did some research about fish (Barra) kills in QLD impoundments. Turns out 2007 was one of the worst kills, 'deleting' entire populations of Barra (Callide) in the south, reducing in severity moving north. Interestingly, it mentioned that Tinaroo was basically a big Barra impoundment; stocking Barra at 300mm (as they do) was most likely a waste of time and money - they simply provided an easy snack for the residents.
Presumably when (if) you reach critical mass up there a similar problem may exisit.

That's actually a bl..dy exciting prospect; a body of water that large brimming with $1+ Barra.....

:catch: :clap: :catch:
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

NBN wrote:Thx Dick.
When I fished Tinaroo several months ago I was shocked to see dozens of big dead Barra. Did some research about fish (Barra) kills in QLD impoundments. Turns out 2007 was one of the worst kills, 'deleting' entire populations of Barra (Callide) in the south, reducing in severity moving north. Interestingly, it mentioned that Tinaroo was basically a big Barra impoundment; stocking Barra at 300mm (as they do) was most likely a waste of time and money - they simply provided an easy snack for the residents.
Presumably when (if) you reach critical mass up there a similar problem may exisit.

That's actually a bl..dy exciting prospect; a body of water that large brimming with $1+ Barra.....

:catch: :clap: :catch:
I believe I remember that 2007 kill. As I recall (coming from the coalface) it was an exceptionally cold period with water temps getting down to 13C. Fish moved into the shallows during the day to take advantage of that column of water heating up a bit. The kill came with fish being caught in that section after sunset when that water's temp dropped rapidly. I recall some issues with the weed beds being particularly thick that may have impeded the fish's movement back to deeper water and they karked it. The fish that stayed deep where the dam's core temperature didn't really alter survived the best.

Lyndon????????????

Our lake is a bit different to those eastern states lakes as we have a permanent flow out of the bottom of the dam and the Powertail(that get to a metre) are awfully good at eating smallish fish. Comparing weed banks at Awoonga to the ones here ours look more extensive so there's plenty of cover plus plenty of bonys and and glass fish.
Regards Dick
SeekingBarradise
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SeekingBarradise »

Hi guys. Dick thanks for the heads up on this thread.

I remember fishing Lake Monduran at the time when the cold rolled in. I went to grab the boat trailer and hook it up.

My hand nearly froze solid to it. It was bl..dy cold. By the time we got to the ramp and on the water the wind picked up,

a freezing gale off the snow caps that dropped wind chill to the minus territory. The dams had already gone through a colder winter,

and this change finished things off. Reports of fish rolling up from emerald, through to inland from Bundy (Monduran), Lenthals (up from Hervey Bay),

Lake Awoonga (Gladstone) and Callide (new Biloela) started to filter through. I heard they filled a truck full of dead fish at Biloela.

Dick is right, i think 13 degrees was the lowest recorded. The Theresa creek area may have been even lower, maybe Callide dam too.

It was in the drought as well, so many lakes had much lower water levels, so this mean't

quicker temperature change e.g. less stability.

There were reports of 1.3 and 1.4m fish turning up in locations where people didn't fish for barra. Long lost stockings form 20 plus years ago etc.

I never thought i would be fishing in a barra location, in minus temps, but there you go.

Regards,
Lyndon
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Shallower dams suffered more than the deeper ones in that cold snap in 2007.

The max daytime temp in Rockhampton was 12 degrees for a couple of days in June from memory. Jeez it was cold (for us anyway).

Lot of fish turned up dead in lots of dams.

2 of the coldest places in winter in CQ with shallow dams are Callide (near Biloela in Callide Valley) and Lake Theresa near Clermont. I think Theresa lost the lot and had to restock.

The biggest dead barra found anywhere in Qld that I was aware of in that event was 1.32 m in Callide which was quite surprising considering its small size.

The main problem with dams in inland areas is daytime winter temps.
Regards
Ronje
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

From the report it was Callide that lost the lot; they stopped counting at 12,000. They surmised this as no-one caught a Barra in Callide for the next 3 years.
That's what I told my wife when I failed at Monduran and Tinaroo; bl..dy cold weather killed them all....
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

What a slab!!

Return to “Freshwater”